Visit The Dirt Forum for More Information

Author Topic:   Champ claimer pan (CP40) - which pan gasket?
posted June 06, 2004 03:22 PM
Does this Champ pan use a thin or thick front gasket? Ordering one tomorrow and want to make sure I have the right gasket to put it on.

Thanks much,

posted June 06, 2004 05:15 PM
Originally posted by chomme:
I forget the exact method...but there is a way to check. If you place a straight edge across the front of the pan and then measure the distance between that and the pan, that is how you can tell. I don't know where I have the book that shows which is which. I would call Jr. Mfg (makers of Champ Pans) and ask to be sure. I've had really good luck with the one piece gaskets (about $20).

The older style (57-74) is the thinner gasket, the newer (75-79) is the thicker & more common gasket. I have one of the Felpro thin 1 piece gaskets so i might order the thick one just in case. If nothing else the thick one will fit my partner's motor.

posted June 07, 2004 07:59 AM
Called Champ, it takes the thick front seal. He said that way it'll fit a 400 too. Now I finally know why most all the aftermarket pans take the thicker front seal even though it was used for a much shorter time.

Back to the Archives