Visit The Dirt Forum for More Information

Author Topic:   vortec motor
posted April 03, 2004 11:05 AM
my buddie blew his 350 vortec up and well i can get his truck fairly cheap.. i just wanna know if i can take my 94 block and put all of his vortec stuff on it and put it in his truck... the truck is a 98. would the cam be hurt at all if it got a few shavings from the crank.. it was a rod bearing that went in it but it messed up the cynders... guess i could get his bored out but i got a perfectly good 94 350 sittin there waitin for my rotted out 92 chey but if i can make this work i'll be drivin a 98

posted April 03, 2004 12:59 PM
just take the top end off that vortec and put it on your short block and put a good pulling cam in it

[This message has been edited by racer17j (edited April 03, 2004).]

posted April 03, 2004 03:22 PM
'94 block should accept the roller cam, but a 96&newer block uses an external thermostat bypass and the '94 block uses the old internal bypass. I think you could tap the bypass and plug it and get around that, but another problem is that the vortec pistons are different also. I'm not sure if you could get the compression right or not, I do know they have a weird quench pattern on the tops that is different than the 94. I guess what I think is that you could make it run but it probably wouldn't be exactly right with all the computer controls.

[This message has been edited by MEANGENE83 (edited April 03, 2004).]

posted April 03, 2004 04:55 PM
The vortec motor also fires off a crank trigger that is in the front cover. The front covers have a diff. bolt pattern & will not fit on an old block.

Back to the Archives