Visit The Dirt Forum for More Information

Author Topic:   Vortec Head Identification
posted April 02, 2004 06:53 AM
Is there any way to spot a votec head, with out actually checking for part numbers.

LIke center bolt's or something.

Alot of engine's come into my local metal yard, just wondering if i could spot them in the pile without tearing into all of them.

posted April 02, 2004 07:11 AM
The Vortec heads only have 8 intake bolts instead of 12. They are 5/16 instead of 3/8 and only connect the 4 corners. There are no heat crossover passages or bolt holes in the center of the head either.

posted April 02, 2004 09:20 AM
In the same way one would spot "double-hump" heads (with the humps on the sides facing the front of the motor) the Vortec heads have a jagged marking on them. Real easy to spot.

They do have center bolt valve covers, but there are adapters made to fit the more traditional style.

If you are trying to hide these heads from tech you have your work cut out for you. As Dirtbuster said, it takes a special type of intake to fit the bolt pattern, center bolt valve covers, etc. You could use an adapter for the valve cover and hope no one noticed it, and hope no one noticed the intake, but the jagged marking on the face is tough to remove. You could grind it off, then dipp it in acid to make it look cast again, or send it to Brezinski, but that's $$$

posted April 06, 2004 08:44 AM
Just trying to find some at the metal yard.
I have never had any before and i'm looking for a set to put in my parts bin.
But I will make sure I also take the intake also.
I'm not trying to hide them.

posted April 11, 2004 07:51 AM
You can drill and tap them for an old intake. If you do run these you also need to put bigger springs in them which requires the spring boss to be milled slightly since its fatter. Going rate at the salvage yards up here used and greasy is $100 each. I found a burnt out vette, not sure of year but they may have a set on them. If not it probably has the aluminum roller centerbolt heads. I'll have ask more questions when I go back, I couldn't see them clearly as most of the engine bay was covered with ****.

If you can find complete U-Wrench-it places that don't remove the motors and will sell heads off of the engine look for 96 and newer chevy trucks. Can't remember when they didn't use these anymore was it 2000? Take the valve covers off and the numbers are stamped about 1/3 of the way back in between the #3 and #5 valves (drivers side) nearer to the center. Look for 062 as the last three digits.

posted April 11, 2004 11:31 AM
Flannadad, dont bother taking the intake b/c it will be a throttle body intake, you will have to drill an old intake(not recommended) or order a special intake for those heads.

Back to the Archives