Visit The Dirt Forum for More Information

Author Topic:   Ford block with Chevy parts
posted June 12, 2003 08:38 AM
Hello all. First off, I am NOT an engine expert. Which is why this question is being posted. I have a 351w, D0OE heads, with chevy valves and running roller rockers. 1)What is the significance of running the chevy valves, and 2)What is the guesstimates on horsepower from this engine? Any questions to help get these answers, just ask, and I'll try and remember what my engine guy has told me. Thanks! Oh, one more question. How long has this forum been in existance, and who started it?


posted June 12, 2003 08:53 AM
the chevy valves are abundant and usually cheaper. however, they are about .100 shorter than the ford valve. this usually doesn't cause a problem until you get into really big cams. i hope you're not using 2.02 & 1.60's in this head. valve spacing is too close and the 2.02 is shrouded by the chamber walls. i've ran the 1.94 & 1.60 with good results. it's best to open up the bowls with a cutter and then blend it in with a die grinder. it wouldn't hurt to open the chamber a bit also to unshroud the intake valve.

an estimate on HP is impossible without knowing more about your combination.

i believe jammin started this forum.

[This message has been edited by outlawstock17 (edited June 12, 2003).]

posted June 12, 2003 05:40 PM
Way back when, the chevy valves were just about the only option if you wanted to put larger valves into your Ford heads. Things started to change in the 80's, and by 10 years ago, Ford specific valves were so readily available and cheap, there was really no need to use a slightly mismatched valve. I have not put chevy valves in a ford head since about 1990, but I guess some still do. If you don't do the port work as mentioned above, the bigger valves don't help a whole lot, and I have actually flow tested heads with larger than stock valves that flowed WORSE than stock!

Back to the Archives