Visit The Dirt Forum for More Information

Author Topic:   Another Powerglide question?
posted December 16, 2003 10:47 AM
Dirttrack newbie here...

...been doing the road course stuff... so I know nothing about a powerglide. I bought a used IMCA stock car that just needed a motor and tranny.

Well, I purchased a used TCI (or at least that is what it is supposed to be)... The owner told me he used a hand control to work the pump.

Anyway... What does the hand lever do? When do you use it? and any recomendations for hooking up a lever? He recommended a bicycle brake lever and cable.

When I purchased this TCI, I also bought his newly rebuilt non-TCI racing powerglide and he said it used some sort of external valving. How does this work?

posted December 16, 2003 12:00 PM
There's different ways to do it, but the lever is basically like a clutch on a manual. Is there an actual torque convertor or is it direct drive? I'm assuming it's direct drive and the lever is to release the tranny so it doesn't stall without a convertor. Some of the setups use a lever to release pressure so it doesn't stall at a stop, others apply the band for push starting.

Maybe call and ask TCI how it works?

posted December 16, 2003 01:02 PM
It is a direct drive with no converter.

I kind of thought it was while the car was in gear and stopped and worked like a clutch, but just wasn't sure. Once I get the car together, I figured I would experiment with it.

posted December 16, 2003 04:01 PM
the backyard way is a valve,you put the car in gear then open,or close the valve(been a while since I have used the valve set up)while giving som egas,just like a clutch on a standered only with a valve.If it works like that then you will wanna do the valve rather quickly,dont run threw the pits and such with it 1/2 open,it hard on the bands.

If its a tci,they normally came with a clucth pedal type deal I thought

posted December 16, 2003 04:57 PM
Allz, what you have is one of TCI's internal valved bodied trannies. You can use a lever and a spring on it on the drivers side to actuate the valve mechanism in the valve body. Works just like a clutch. Just pull or push it depending on the location of the lever and it will act just like you poke on the clutch. and let it go to let off the clutch..just directs the pressure in the valvebody.


posted December 16, 2003 07:08 PM
That is correct Tony17j. Allzway, if you need to know any details about it, just send me an email. I'm off work for the holidays but i'm still answering emails, etc.


Scott Miller
TCI Automotive, LLC
662-224-8972 ext 332

posted December 16, 2003 07:35 PM
OOOPS...posted as my son...sorry.


posted December 17, 2003 08:55 AM
Thanks alot for the help.

Scott... I sent mail.