Visit The Dirt Forum for More Information

Author Topic:   cage questions
posted February 07, 2003 12:28 PM
I'm sure that bracing is the most important thing in this question, but is there a reason for the diagonal bar that runs from the middle of the rear hoop to the front passenger side frame rail? You have the downbars in the back and the front hoop is tied to the motor area. The most thing I see is that racers use it to mount things on it. The cage kits don't come with it. Any thoughts?

posted February 07, 2003 12:54 PM
dman, That bar is usually called a bay bar, it's used to stiffen the right front corner of the car as it rolls into the turns. It's also good to mount part of the seat frame to. If you look guys usually run bars back to rear frame kickups from where this bar is in the main hoop, it really stiffens the frame up. Hope this helps loojack..

[This message has been edited by loojack (edited February 07, 2003).]

posted February 07, 2003 06:13 PM
around here we can them a petty bar it's used like loo siad to help transfer the weight from the rf to the lr here is a pic of one of our new chassis we tie it to the frame x and cage cross bar also to add some stiffness to the chassis

posted February 07, 2003 08:36 PM
Thanks guys!

posted February 07, 2003 09:19 PM
Hey racer17j, I always thought a "petty bar" ran from the center of the cage to the front upper corner of the halo. That way if the car got on it's roof, there was some support there.

posted February 08, 2003 02:39 AM
That bar is put in to reduce flex. Every car I build or rebuild has this bar when I'm done. Zero flex, all suspension.

posted February 08, 2003 08:28 AM
that's correct, istock59.....

posted February 08, 2003 11:57 AM
Is that a roll cage for your SNOW mobile? Couldn't resist!

"Lift for a second, that's where you'll finish!"

[This message has been edited by fairlaniac (edited February 08, 2003).]

posted February 08, 2003 01:21 PM
its a petty bar, richard petty first used one. they reverence it all the time on nascar tech.

just like a sprint car net in a stock car is a burton net. jeff burton started that.

and of course lajoie seats, from randy.

theres also an earnheardt bar that i havent seen on any dirt cars and i think you should be adding it.

it goes in the center of the windshield opening, like on cup cars etc.

all most cars i ive seen here have is 3, quarter to half inch tubes like a bareque grill.

allmost all pavement cars now run a earnheardt bar and they have a lexan windshield, so dirt cars could really use it.

mods cages are offset enough to go without but not straight up street stock cage, a tire, wheel, bumper that comes loose can easily fit in the opening!!

just food for thought. i think were making a offer on a house with a good shop, 30x50 once im set up ill bend one for anyone around me for free.

council bluffs IA.


posted February 09, 2003 07:10 PM
i call that bar a blind spot and one less hole to crawl out of if i needed to lol

posted February 14, 2003 12:14 AM
I call it the save your assets bar, if a wheel would come thru there or something that bar would slow it down, The earnhardt bar runs from the top righ corner down to the, uhh somewhere I guess, I dont put it in, just looks to mangly to me and I dont see the point.

Back to the Archives