Visit The Dirt Forum for More Information

Author Topic:   How do you measure angles?
posted November 20, 2002 07:31 AM           
What do you use to measure the angles of your rear suspension? Like a 90/10 shock, or the links to the rearend, how do you measure what angle they are??

George Gilliland
posted November 20, 2002 09:02 AM
I use a general purpose angle indicator. It operates by gravity and has a pointer which indicates the angle. You can get one at Sears, Menards or any good hardware store. I also have a machinist combination set, but the angle indicator is fine for most measurements.

posted November 20, 2002 10:13 AM
We also use a general purpose angle indicator. The easiest way we have found to measure the angles is to do it when the car is up on grain scales. This allows the car to remain at ride height, but a good 6 inches or so higher than usual. You can slide underneath the car easily and it is a breeze. Definitely beats trying to squeeze in under the car or between the wheel-wells.

posted November 20, 2002 10:52 AM
Just make sure the car is sitting on a level surface!

posted November 20, 2002 11:55 AM
Christmas is right around the corner.....
treat yourself to a "smart level". It can be found at most hardware stores ($70-$90)with or without a removeable 2'-3' (or more) traditional level body. Cool accesories are available (I like the magnet attachment I got from Lefthander Chassis).

Here is a picture ...


posted November 20, 2002 06:11 PM
i agree, the 6in smart level is the only way to go, it also has a "hold" function so you dont have to look at the readout when you measure with it. that is a good price....i think i paid around 110.00 for mine.