Visit The Dirt Forum for More Information

Author Topic:   Tire cutting
posted November 12, 2002 11:21 AM
I was watching WoO on SPEED channel last night and they were in the pits with one of the teams. The crew member was cutting the tires with a thing that looked similiar to a wood plain only it had a adjustable depth blade that cut a groove in the tire. does anyone know what this thing is called or where you can get them?

posted November 12, 2002 12:13 PM
It is a siping tool and most racing supply shops can prob get you one. Beware though most local, weekly tracks have rules against them.
Siping cuts little grooves in the tire tread which helps to let heat out of the tire and keep the tire temps down and keep it from glazing over.

posted November 12, 2002 03:59 PM
i always use a grooving iron with the blade turned upside down. it flies through rubber. siping also creates more biting edges on the surface of the tire which increases traction.

posted November 12, 2002 06:07 PM
you may want to check out
posted in the dec 2002, is all the how to and why behind siping tires. all you need to due is go on the web site and search under tech/ tires go luck and hope this helps you

posted November 13, 2002 12:01 AM
you can also use a sharp razor blade to pass the time while you bench race with yuor buddies this winter!

posted November 15, 2002 11:22 AM
If he was using a power planer he was shaving the tire the gocart boys do this all the time you can get one at home depot