Visit The Dirt Forum for More Information

Author Topic:   hoosiers vs McCrearys?
zilla
Member
posted June 23, 2000 10:07 PM
Our track switched from american racers to hoosier a-40s. Everyone says that the Hoosier is a better tire, but if thats the case, we must be missing something.


jammin
Administrator
posted June 24, 2000 07:57 AM
I personally have not run the Hoosier, but from what I heard, they wear out faster, they are tackier for a few laps, but they go away very fast, and are more expensive, if this is true,I will stay with the McCreary.


Roadhzrd
Member
posted June 25, 2000 02:44 AM
At our track we prefered our competitors to have hoosiers. They might be better at some other tracks but at KC the American Racers work better.


MelFer
Member
posted June 26, 2000 08:10 PM
Jammin is correct in the reply Hoosier dirt bozz tires are difficult to maintain and very sensitive to tire temps. too hot you'll burn them up try to go to the harder tire and they don't seem to come in. definately don't get the hard bozz hot then run through any part of the track that has moisture or they seem to glaze over and will not come back until you scuff them by hand.


v8modracer
Member
posted July 02, 2000 10:22 AM
MelFer, I agree with you on the Hoosier Tires. My track has been running them all season. Last Friday the track was hard and slick. I never hit the floor during the feature. I'm running 60.5% rear weight and the RR was 180 degrees after 20 laps. These Hoosiers are good when the track is tacky but, have had little success on dry slick tracks. Not to mention $95 dollars each.
quote:
Originally posted by MelFer:
Jammin is correct in the reply Hoosier dirt bozz tires are difficult to maintain and very sensitive to tire temps. too hot you'll burn them up try to go to the harder tire and they don't seem to come in. definately don't get the hard bozz hot then run through any part of the track that has moisture or they seem to glaze over and will not come back until you scuff them by hand.



bbracer17
Member
posted July 03, 2000 09:41 PM
I tried the D-40 on the rear last week on a dry slick track and I went backwards real quick at about lap 15. The A-40 seems to last better but I still think there is better racing on the American Racer.


zilla
Member
posted July 05, 2000 04:27 PM
We don't seem to be getting enough heat in our the Hoosiers. We were running our setup the same as with the McCrearys, and the car just doesn't seem to work as well. The car handles ok, just doesn't seem to be getting anywhere.


MelFer
Member
posted July 26, 2000 09:27 PM
Zilla: optimum tire temps direct from HOOSIER are super bozz 100-140, dirt bozz 150-210 hard bozz 200-240 The hard and most dificult decision is when to run which tire as we all probably know. I have found on my Mod the only time I will use the super is when VERY WET. the rest of the time only a dirt will work. Don't know where you are DID NOT LOOK outside temps do not really play a part in tire selection but warming the hard bozz will and scuff them after every race.
quote:
Originally posted by zilla:
We don't seem to be getting enough heat in our the Hoosiers. We were running our setup the same as with the McCrearys, and the car just doesn't seem to work as well. The car handles ok, just doesn't seem to be getting anywhere.



MelFer
Member
posted July 26, 2000 09:29 PM
You are paying less at 95.00 than we are at the track incl. tax
quote:
Originally posted by v8modracer:
MelFer, I agree with you on the Hoosier Tires. My track has been running them all season. Last Friday the track was hard and slick. I never hit the floor during the feature. I'm running 60.5% rear weight and the RR was 180 degrees after 20 laps. These Hoosiers are good when the track is tacky but, have had little success on dry slick tracks. Not to mention $95 dollars each.



Back to the Archives