Visit The Dirt Forum for More Information

Author Topic:   VORTEC Heads
Dirt Newbie

Total posts: 2
posted November 07, 2005 12:48 PM  
I'm having a problem with them leaking. I have the adaptors that let you use regular valve covers with them, but it doesn't matter what I do they leak. I have to run stud girdles and I can't find a set of covers that will work. Any idea's?

Dirt Full Roller

Total posts: 50
posted November 07, 2005 01:49 PM  
have you tried an extra thick gasket?

Dirt Full Roller

Total posts: 40
posted November 07, 2005 02:56 PM  
those adapters stink, I had the same issue. there are no valve covers that are tall and work with stud girdles for vortecs.

I think a good option might be to run a vortec gasket under the adapter to the head, I used a ton of silicone and it still leaked a little on the rs.

Or just drilling for old style valve covers and putting studs in, Ive seen heads for sale with that done.

Dirt Roller

Total posts: 23
posted November 07, 2005 03:44 PM  
You might want to call this place:

sc1 racing
Dirt Freak

Total posts: 419
posted November 07, 2005 10:23 PM  
you can get a set of tall valve covers for 65.00. i drilled and tapped my stud girdles for the valve covers. works great. those 60.00 adapters keep breaking/leaking on us too.

Dirt Full Roller

Total posts: 40
posted November 08, 2005 02:42 PM  
you drilled thru your stud girdle for the valve cover bolts, I was thinking of that but all the tall ones Ive seen that are alum have reinforcing webs in there in the way of the girdles also.

Dirt Full Roller

Total posts: 40
posted November 08, 2005 03:42 PM  
??? are the vortec heads any good and if so what changes to an old style block any info appricated

Dirt Freak

Total posts: 428
posted November 08, 2005 06:13 PM  
dirtyboy58 the vortec heads are a direct bolt on. The issue you will run into is the intake manifold. Vortec heads don't use the center bolts in the maninfold. So you can have the heads drilled and tapped or find a vortec maninfold. The best ones to buy are the marine ones. But you have to check your rules about using them.

Jason Boivin

[This message has been edited by jay116 (edited November 09, 2005).]


Back to the Archives