Visit The Dirt Forum for More Information

Dirt Roller

Total posts: 14
posted February 05, 2005 08:08 PM  
Question is they make an arm that is thrd you can thrd it in and out to remove it. What did this come off of. Year and make Having a hard time finding this part at the parts place. This part came off a car don't know because when I recieved this car it did not have a body on it. Frame only but was told it was a car but not known what make and model. Thanks for all the help. I will be going to Auto Zone to play on there comp to find this part tonight.

[This message has been edited by Hoosier1919 (edited February 07, 2005).]

Dirt Freak

Total posts: 474
posted February 05, 2005 08:33 PM  
never heard of that one before, sorry

Dirt Roller

Total posts: 23
posted February 07, 2005 10:48 AM  
I have seen the idler arm you speek of. It was also used on 2wd S-10 trucks. And as you are finding, it seems to be a OE item. Have not found it in any aftermarket product line.

Dirt Freak

Total posts: 344
posted February 07, 2005 10:54 AM  
As far as i know 78-88 metric takes the same idler as 82-02 s10.I did not know their was a different one!

Dirt Freak

Total posts: 344
posted February 07, 2005 11:04 AM  
Upon futher review of my books

82-02 s10 OE #26041013
78-88 metric car OE#7837635

Not sure if that will help.

Dirt Full Roller

Total posts: 70
posted February 07, 2005 03:11 PM  
I think I know what you are describing, and I think they just came on the older metrics. I have one and I THINK it came off of a 78 cutlass. Hope that helps.

Dirt Maniac

Total posts: 174
posted February 07, 2005 09:27 PM  
is it shorter than a stock one?

Dirt Roller

Total posts: 14
posted February 08, 2005 10:19 AM  
Well, 78 Cutlass has the same part # as MonteCarlo, Malbu, Buick skylark, Buick Regal, and so on all the same Idler arm part # What the heck did this come off of ? 78 Cutlass part # is FA 1013 @ the Zone it does not come apart it's all one piece. OK , this arm will screw right off the car with out removing the 2 bolts that hold it to the frame. You can adjust the height of the arm by thrd it in and out. Help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Help !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

[This message has been edited by Hoosier1919 (edited February 08, 2005).]

Dirt Freak

Total posts: 344
posted February 08, 2005 10:33 AM  
????? sorry

Dirt Forum Racer

Total posts: 99
posted February 08, 2005 04:40 PM  
Being a gm tech, I am also gonna say OE item only. All the aftermarket arms are one piece, and usually have some play in them as soon as you put them on.

Josh K.

Dirt Roller

Total posts: 18
posted February 08, 2005 06:35 PM  
Could this be a repair piece like the camber correcting cross shafts for the upper control arms??[

Dirt Freak

Total posts: 396
posted February 09, 2005 02:41 PM  
Just a old farts guess on this, but several GM cars used a thread type idle arm in the 50s-60s. Ramblers had trunions, they looked like a u-joint but were used as a ball joint. Try to find an old style alignment shop thats been run by the owner and show him your piece; I'll bet he will know what it was made for.

Dirt Freak

Total posts: 369
posted February 09, 2005 03:36 PM  
you know i had an 81 camaro that had a loose idler arm i took it off and turned the arm and it tightened up hope that helps

drive hard or drive home

Dirt Roller

Total posts: 14
posted February 14, 2005 07:08 AM  
Thanks for all the replys but this part is not after market and still is unknown what it comes off of . I tried all make and models that are giving on this topic. thanks again we can just call this an unsolved problem.

Dirt Roller

Total posts: 12
posted February 25, 2005 10:43 AM  
Found that the idler arm may come on 77 and later G-body cars. Has anyone heard of this ?


Back to the Archives