Visit The Dirt Forum for More Information

Author Topic:   turning 355 into a 383
Dirt Full Roller

Total posts: 60
posted October 30, 2004 08:24 PM  
anyone know what i have to do to change my hobby motor to a 383 stroker? i have a 355 right now and am not sure what all i have to do. any help is appreciated

Dirt Freak

Total posts: 354
posted October 30, 2004 09:35 PM  
355 is a 3.48 stroke crankshaft.
383 is a 3.75 srtoke crankshaft.
If you want to stay with the same connecting rods (5.7) you will need new pistons with less compression height.
The least expensive way would be to switch to 400 Chevy (short) rods (5.565) and use your 355 pistons. This is usually not the way to go with a high RPM race motor.
The rotating assembly (crank,rods and pistons) will need to be rebalanced.
383 cranks are usually externally balanced and will require a "400" flywheel and harmonic balancer. Internally balanced cranks are available.

Dirt Forum Racer

Total posts: 81
posted November 08, 2004 07:49 PM  
you will also have to clearance the block for the rod throws at the bottom of the cylinder webbing and make sure you don't have an interference problem with the cam. If you have to radical of a cam profile, you may need to go to a small base circle grind

Dirt Roller

Total posts: 13
posted November 11, 2004 05:32 PM  
but be careful when grinding the bottom of the block for rod clearance as streetstock says because if you get to aggressive you can strick a water jacket


Back to the Archives