Visit The Dirt Forum for More Information

Author Topic:   Corvette Starter
wetwolfone
Dirt Full Roller

Total posts: 51
posted April 11, 2005 06:11 AM  
One of my sponsors has a Corvette starter (way lighter than the one I have now) I can use. The problem is to use the Corvette starter I need to use a smaller flywheel and that flywheel does not line up with the bolt holes in my torque converter (turbo 350). We found a torque converter(don't know what its from) that fits the smaller fly wheel, but it will not fully go on the transmission. Any suggestions on what I need to do to use this starter? It's a 350 Chevy Motor.

Raceman17
Dirt Maniac

Total posts: 165
posted April 11, 2005 06:28 AM  
quote:
Originally posted by wetwolfone:
One of my sponsors has a Corvette starter (way lighter than the one I have now) I can use. The problem is to use the Corvette starter I need to use a smaller flywheel and that flywheel does not line up with the bolt holes in my torque converter (turbo 350). We found a torque converter(don't know what its from) that fits the smaller fly wheel, but it will not fully go on the transmission. Any suggestions on what I need to do to use this starter? It's a 350 Chevy Motor.

Just redrill some new holes the the flexplate for the torque converter that fits in the 350 turbo. My cars been done like that for years without a problem.
Later

J3
Dirt Maniac

Total posts: 188
posted April 12, 2005 08:50 AM  
Why go through all the trouble to run a free starter and possibly spend more money than it would cost to just buy a light weight starter that would bolt right up?

Raceman17
Dirt Maniac

Total posts: 165
posted April 12, 2005 08:57 AM  
quote:
Originally posted by J3:
Why go through all the trouble to run a free starter and possibly spend more money than it would cost to just buy a light weight starter that would bolt right up?

How can it cost more money to drill three holes in the flexplate. Most bomber drivers dont have 200 bucks laying around for a lightweight starter. Cost is always an issue with a stock class.
Later


wetwolfone
Dirt Full Roller

Total posts: 51
posted April 12, 2005 08:57 AM  
Drilling holes costs very little money. Mini starters are what about $150-200.

wetwolfone
Dirt Full Roller

Total posts: 51
posted April 12, 2005 09:02 AM  
Thanks Raceman. You beat me to it. I'm not retarded, I know I can buy a mini-starter that will bolt up. Just trying to use what I have and save a few pounds. This guy is probably one of the ones with $5,000 stuck into a bomber motor.

J3
Dirt Maniac

Total posts: 188
posted April 21, 2005 02:29 PM  
quote:
Originally posted by wetwolfone:
Thanks Raceman. You beat me to it. I'm not retarded, I know I can buy a mini-starter that will bolt up. Just trying to use what I have and save a few pounds. This guy is probably one of the ones with $5,000 stuck into a bomber motor.

Not quite, only $4995 so far. He said that he was going to have to get another flywheel and possible torgue converters, just seemed like he was going to be going through more trouble and money to get those things than to just buy the starter.

Back to the Archives