posted December 28, 2004 08:45 PM
2005 Factory Sleds and Figure-8 Rules
2005 Factory Sled and Figure 8’s
This class is intended to be an affordable, entry-level division with the emphasis on fun. If you take racing too seriously, this division is not for you. If you must win every race, at any cost; racing is not for you!
Rule # 1. If this rulebook does not say you can do it, DON’T DO IT!! NO EXCEPTIONS!!
2. Any American made automobile with a wheelbase of 112” or more will be allowed to compete. No leaf spring cars allowed. 4-door models and station wagons are encouraged.
3. Car must remain in its original form as manufactured. No alterations of any kind, except for those specifically allowed in this rulebook. All parts must be used as intended by manufacturer. Engine only may be swapped, make-to-make, provided it was comparable to original engine.
4. A 4-point roll cage of .095 min. wall tubing is required and must remain within the interior portion of the car. No bar may pass through firewalls. One straight brace (not to exceed 1-3/4” dia.) is allowed to connect left and right front frame horns only. 1/8” x 24” x 24” drivers side steel doorplate is required. A 12” x 18” kick plate to protect driver’s legs is recommended.
5. Both bumpers must be chained to frame for safety. Wrecker hooks of adequate size must be installed in bumpers.
6. All Inner panels must remain intact except driver’s side for door bar installation. Doors must be welded shut.
7. Front inner fender wells must be removed for fire safety.
8. Hood and trunk must be accessible for safety personnel without using a tool of any kind. Operational hood & trunk hinges with springs must be used.
9. All glass must be removed except for windshield which may be replaced by 1/8” lexan only. No plexiglass allowed.
10. Safety Rules- See “Safety” on page 3 of this rulebook.
11. Battery may be relocated to trunk.
12. Battery and fuel tank must be secured by (two) 1” metal straps. Racing fuel cell recommended. Fuel tank may not extend below frame.
13. Any 7” standard offset steel wheel is permitted. No “made for racing” wheels allowed. Wagon wheels, ok. Street radial tires only, 70-Series max.
14. Engine must meet OEM specs. .030 overbore, ok. No aftermarket or performance enhancing components allowed. Engine must draw a minimum of 15 inches vacuum at 800 rpm, in gear. Maximum cam lift: GM engines- .410, Ford engines- .420
15. No port fuel injected engines allowed. Throttle body fuel injection, ok.
16. “Camel Back” heads not allowed. Any engine component considered to be “high performance”, even if it is stock, is not allowed.
17. Aftermarket pulleys are not allowed.
18. Stock automatic transmission only. No powerglides. Must have working reverse gear.
19. Transmission cooler allowed in engine compartment only.
20. Transmission dip stick tube and top of transmission must vent into a single overflow can mounted to front of firewall.
21. Radiator must have 1 gallon over-flow catch-can (or) mount overflow tube at center of windshield in clear view of officials. Aluminum radiator allowed.
22. No aftermarket air cleaners, air filters or dress-up items allowed. Valve covers may be changed to allow for breather-type valve cover. Air cleaner cover may not be flipped over.
23. Single exhaust only- 2.5” max OD with stock muffler, exiting behind driver.
24. Open rearends only. No posi-traction.
25. Stock OEM springs only. Both front springs must be identical in rate and length. Both rear springs must be identical in rate and length. No spring blocks, spacers, shims, rubbers, cups or similar devices allowed.
26. No camber allowed. When using a carpenter’s square, top and bottom of tire will be square with ground.
27. All trailer hitches and similar add-ons must be removed.
28. ADDITIONAL REQUIREMENT FOR FIG- 8’s - STRICTLY ENFORCED: Minimum 3 right side door bars and 1/8” steel right side door plate, 24” x 24” min.
29. If questions remain regarding these rules, SEE RULE NUMBER 1.
racing is way too cool gave up golf for it