Visit The Dirt Forum for More Information

Author Topic:   What makes a Vortex?
Dirt Roller

Total posts: 9
posted December 31, 2003 12:50 AM  
Track rules say "No Vortex". Can I change the heads and intake to old style. What else is the difference?

Dirt Freak

Total posts: 306
posted December 31, 2003 09:29 AM  
they also have a factory roller cam and its peice rearmain seal too. so the tech guy will be able to tell if it is a vortec any way so look for some thing a lil older

Dirt Roller

Total posts: 9
posted December 31, 2003 10:42 PM  
Thanks for the info Wizard!

Dirt Freak

Total posts: 428
posted January 01, 2004 03:28 PM  
The timing cover on the block is a one time use piece too.

Dirt Maniac

Total posts: 193
posted January 04, 2004 05:19 PM  
some tracks are worried about the late '80s early 90s Chevy heads that had a ramp in the intake runner. They call those heads "vortex"

I know the 305 head casting number is 187, not sure on the 350 head number.

[This message has been edited by ruggs66 (edited January 04, 2004).]

Dirt Freak

Total posts: 474
posted January 06, 2004 09:04 PM  
[swirling wind often makes a vortex, sorry I just had to do it.

Light it up, Baby!

[This message has been edited by bobaluuu (edited January 06, 2004).]

Dirt Maniac

Total posts: 170
posted January 07, 2004 06:48 AM  
he's probably referring to the heads. and he wont have to do anything other than look under the hood to know wheyher you have them. they have different valve cover bolt patterns. they use different style intake manifolds. very few to chose from. mostly aluminum aftermarket.scoggin dickey has a cast unit with gm casting numbers buts its really not stock. you can redrill regular stock intakes but like i said he only has to look to know. not to mention the castings on the ends. a good tech guy will catch these.

Back to the Archives