Visit The Dirt Forum for More Information

Author Topic:   Panhard Bar Question
Dirt Full Roller

Total posts: 28
posted October 21, 2005 07:05 AM  
Until now I have always used a Jbar mounted on the pinion. I want to try a long panhard bar behind the rear end. My question is this, can I use a standard 3/4" tube with heims to make this or do I need to buy a panhard bar kit? Thanks in advance.

Dirt Freak

Total posts: 352
posted October 21, 2005 08:04 AM  
i think my tube is .095 with 3/4 heims.
im going to a j bar the rear mounted pan hard bar loads the right tire too much

Fastride 38
Dirt Maniac

Total posts: 125
posted October 21, 2005 08:07 AM  
My Shaw two link had the 3/4 bar with heims across the back mounted to the right rear tube going to the frame behind the rear, and it worked fine for racing purposes. If it took a hit in the right rear. It would fold the long bar in half. Just something you may want to watch for. Always take a spare panhard bar to the track with you....JMO

Dirt Maniac

Total posts: 136
posted October 21, 2005 08:08 AM  
Get yourself some .125 wall 3/4" DOM tube drill and tap it for 5/8 heims and go racing! We make our own and also make our own upper a-frames the same way.

Dirt Maniac

Total posts: 192
posted October 21, 2005 08:36 AM  
I am not sure if a Standard 3/4" Swedge bar will hold as a panhard bar.
We make ours from 1" .125 wall tubing with weld in ends. I tried .095 wall and bent it this week on a rutty track

Dirt Roller

Total posts: 21
posted October 21, 2005 09:29 AM  
We race a 2800# super stock and have used the standard 3/4 " swedge tube with no problems. Well aside from a pit man trying to jack the car up in the middle of the pan head bar. I think he was trying to make it a j bar for me. I would rather replace a $15-20 swedge tube after taking a hard hit then cut the chassis apart to fix the mounts or bent tubing.

Dirt Full Roller

Total posts: 64
posted October 21, 2005 09:39 AM  
If you break a bar while cornering your going to loose a lot more than the bar. Will break your shocks too. Could also loose trailing arms and bend frame mounts. Not to mention wreck.

Dirt Forum Champ
Total posts: 505
posted October 21, 2005 09:45 AM  
I do like rick does. Use 1.25" x .125 wall chromoly with thread adapters.

Dirt Forum Champ
Total posts: 1875
posted October 21, 2005 12:04 PM  
I have and do use sometimes a regular swedge tube, for a shorty bar, they bend a small amount after a while. I had bought the car with a very long behind the rear one, and it bent very fast.
So I would use a .125 wall 3/4 dom and tap it or use a dom and the adapters shown above, or if you have a tig and are a good welder then use chromoly for the bar.

Dirt Full Roller

Total posts: 30
posted October 21, 2005 06:37 PM  
what is the source for the threaded tube ends pictured above?

Dirt Full Roller

Total posts: 42
posted October 21, 2005 07:47 PM  
We use a tap tube made for pan hard bars that is 1 1/4 in and sized for 3/4 tapping with out haveing drill first.You can get this size and some lighter tap tube for 3/4 or 5/8 tapping with out drilling at

Coleman Racing Products

Phone 1-800-221-1851

Dirt Full Roller

Total posts: 42
posted October 21, 2005 07:53 PM  
Forgot to mension that Coleman also sells the treaded inserts in different sizes


Dirt Forum Champ
Total posts: 505
posted October 22, 2005 11:51 AM

Dirt Full Roller

Total posts: 60
posted October 23, 2005 08:10 AM  
When I had a GRT we used a 3/4 swedge tube(the one GRT sent with the car) and one night I took a good hit with the RR and the tube bent but I was glad to see that the rear housing and snout was OK.

Dirt Freak

Total posts: 298
posted October 23, 2005 09:11 AM  
I have ALWAYS used a swedge tube for my panhard except my first year when I had a J-bar. I bent 1 from a hit directly to the right rear. My current car is a DirtWorks and every time I tear anything up on it, it is the mount on the chassis that gets sheared off (It's 1 1/2" tube from DirtWorks). I also had the shorty bar on once (9" tube, I believe) and wrecked. The 2" square tube chassis mount bent, but not the swedge tube.

Back to the Archives