Visit The Dirt Forum for More Information

Author Topic:   tranny gear
J3
Dirt Maniac

Total posts: 188
posted April 04, 2005 09:30 PM  
Ok guys, trying to find out the gear ratio's for a tranny that came in the 1980 4 cyl mustang. It is a 4 speed. Any help will be great. Thank ya.
Johnny

jimshar
Dirt Full Roller

Total posts: 67
posted April 05, 2005 05:58 AM  
Mine is a 1.97. But to check for sure do this<< You need 2 people for this. Mark the front and rear shafts of the tranny without turning it. Once they are both marked, have 1 guy at the rear of tranny and one guy at the front. The guy in the front turns the shaft and counts the turns, the guy in the back counts the turns also.Keep turning the shaft until the marks on the front and rear shafts line up again. Divide the revolutions of both the sharft into each other and you got your ratio. here is an example: Rear shaft revolutions = 30, front shaft revolutions = 59. 59 divided by 30=1.966 gear ratio. make sure the tranny is in the gear you want to check before you start. Put in second gear before you start counting. When you mark the 2 shafts,front and rear, make sure you put a mark on the tranny housing also. Hope this helps.
quote:
Originally posted by J3:
Ok guys, trying to find out the gear ratio's for a tranny that came in the 1980 4 cyl mustang. It is a 4 speed. Any help will be great. Thank ya.
Johnny


jimshar
Dirt Full Roller

Total posts: 67
posted April 05, 2005 06:07 AM  
The example I gave you was with the car in second gear.
quote:
Originally posted by jimshar:
Mine is a 1.97. But to check for sure do this<< You need 2 people for this. Mark the front and rear shafts of the tranny without turning it. Once they are both marked, have 1 guy at the rear of tranny and one guy at the front. The guy in the front turns the shaft and counts the turns, the guy in the back counts the turns also.Keep turning the shaft until the marks on the front and rear shafts line up again. Divide the revolutions of both the sharft into each other and you got your ratio. here is an example: Rear shaft revolutions = 30, front shaft revolutions = 59. 59 divided by 30=1.966 gear ratio. make sure the tranny is in the gear you want to check before you start. Put in second gear before you start counting. When you mark the 2 shafts,front and rear, make sure you put a mark on the tranny housing also. Hope this helps.


J3
Dirt Maniac

Total posts: 188
posted April 12, 2005 09:32 AM  
Come on guys, no one has any idea what the gear ratios are in that tranny?


jimshar
Dirt Full Roller

Total posts: 67
posted April 12, 2005 10:08 AM  
The above will take you about 5 minutes to do.
quote:
Originally posted by J3:
Come on guys, no one has any idea what the gear ratios are in that tranny?



racerman707
Dirt Freak

Total posts: 374
posted April 13, 2005 09:26 AM  
Most likely a 2.14 in sec., 1.42 in third. But what fun is it to get outrun assuming you have that gear and it turns out to be something else? Better check it. If the trans is still in the car you can mark the balancer and driveshaft to get the ratio.

Back to the Archives