Visit The Dirt Forum for More Information

Author Topic:   difference in ump and imca?
Dirt Roller

Total posts: 21
posted September 17, 2002 06:36 PM
what is the difference in a ump and an imca modified?

Racer X
Dirt Roller

Total posts: 20
posted September 17, 2002 07:44 PM
As far as I know they have a different tire rule and the motor claim is different. I don't know what UMP does they may not have a claim. The cars for the most part are the same.

Dirt Maniac

Total posts: 110
posted September 17, 2002 07:52 PM
there safty requirements are differnt then imca also. they don't require a SA90 or above helment.

Dirt Maniac

Total posts: 193
posted September 17, 2002 08:16 PM
You can run aluminum heads in UMP, and they use hoosier tires instead of mccrearies.

I think every sanctioning body should allow spoilers!!! I'm looking forward to putting a spoiler on next year for the new TORA modifieds.

[This message has been edited by 2nd2none (edited September 17, 2002).]

Dirt Freak

Total posts: 221
posted September 18, 2002 04:46 AM
you can run more aluminum parts in ump also that are not legal in imca.

Dirt Full Roller

Total posts: 55
posted September 18, 2002 05:49 AM
The difference in chassis is none, however, in UMP, the motor claim is $750 plus exchange, you can run aluminum heads, and a bert/brinn style tranny. The tire for UMP is different in different parts of the country. Some places mandate a Hoosier D-40 and others mandate a Hoosier A-40. If you have an imca car and are looking at running a UMP track, these are some things you'll have to contend with.
The IMCA rules say that the motor claim is $500 (I think) with NO exchange. For this reason, claims are more prevalent in IMCA. You must run steel heads, and a stock type tranny. The tire for all IMCA tracks is the IMCA McCreary.
Hope this helps to clear this up, and ...............See ya at the track!!

Dirt Roller

Total posts: 17
posted September 21, 2002 08:41 AM
can you show up and run with imca tire or is it hoosier tire or nothing?

[This message has been edited by TOOLBOY (edited September 22, 2002).]

Dirt Roller

Total posts: 20
posted September 23, 2002 05:53 PM
You must run a Hoosier D-40, A-40 or H-40. You can do minimal sipping on the A-40. No exceptions.

Back to the Archives