Visit The Dirt Forum for More Information

Author Topic:   KILLING ROD BEARINGS
new8
Dirt Full Roller

Total posts: 34
posted February 05, 2002 07:20 PM
I RUN A 350 WITH RPM FROM 2500 TO 6000,AND MY QUESTION IS ON NUMBERS 1 AND 3 ROD BEARINGS AFTERABOUT 60 LAPS THEIR GONE? ALL THE OTHERS ARE ALWAYS GOOD ALSO THE MAINS.I HAVE 1/8 HOLES DRILLED IN THE MAINS DIRECTED AT THE BOTTOM OF THE PISTON FOR COOLING.I RUN A HI-VOLUME HI-PRESSURE OIL PUMP.SO CAN ANYONE EXPLAIN THIS.
THANKS FOR THE INFO.

uforacing51
Dirt Freak

Total posts: 240
posted February 07, 2002 11:38 PM
Are you running an oil sump system with all this hi vol/pres pump. cause if you ain't then you must be using a pan, and that means that you are probably running out of the black gold before the front of the engine gets any. Hi vol/pres pumps usually need at least 7 qts.

wfoondirt
Dirt Freak

Total posts: 242
posted February 08, 2002 01:28 PM
this along with the cooling problem sounds like a lean condition or excessively advanced timing.

new8
Dirt Full Roller

Total posts: 34
posted February 08, 2002 05:22 PM
quote:
Originally posted by uforacing51:
Are you running an oil sump system with all this hi vol/pres pump. cause if you ain't then you must be using a pan, and that means that you are probably running out of the black gold before the front of the engine gets any. Hi vol/pres pumps usually need at least 7 qts.

yes i am running a oil sump system with 8 qts of always quaker state.

sdhnc29
Dirt Freak

Total posts: 349
posted February 09, 2002 02:44 AM
Why are you spraying your pistons with oil ?? Seems to me like your oil temp would be increased dramatically during a 60 lap race with only 7 quarts of oil in the engine , if the oil is actually hitting the bottom of the pistons ! Also , eight 1/8" holes in the mains would be a very large internal oil leak !! I'd plug your 1/8" holes and go back to the standard Chevy oiling system ! I just can't think of a reason to put cooler oil on hot pistons , and then have heated and fall back on the crank , and into the pan .

------------------
Hendren Racing Engines
Rutherfordton , NC
(828)286-0780

new8
Dirt Full Roller

Total posts: 34
posted February 09, 2002 02:15 PM
quote:
Originally posted by sdhnc29:
Why are you spraying your pistons with oil ?? Seems to me like your oil temp would be increased dramatically during a 60 lap race with only 7 quarts of oil in the engine , if the oil is actually hitting the bottom of the pistons ! Also , eight 1/8" holes in the mains would be a very large internal oil leak !! I'd plug your 1/8" holes and go back to the standard Chevy oiling system ! I just can't think of a reason to put cooler oil on hot pistons , and then have heated and fall back on the crank , and into the pan .


thanks for the info.

gkmod56
Dirt Newbie

Total posts: 2
posted February 12, 2002 07:19 PM
quote:
Originally posted by new8:
I RUN A 350 WITH RPM FROM 2500 TO 6000,AND MY QUESTION IS ON NUMBERS 1 AND 3 ROD BEARINGS AFTERABOUT 60 LAPS THEIR GONE? ALL THE OTHERS ARE ALWAYS GOOD ALSO THE MAINS.I HAVE 1/8 HOLES DRILLED IN THE MAINS DIRECTED AT THE BOTTOM OF THE PISTON FOR COOLING.I RUN A HI-VOLUME HI-PRESSURE OIL PUMP.SO CAN ANYONE EXPLAIN THIS.
THANKS FOR THE INFO.

I HAVE SEEN THIS BEFORE AND MAYBE YOU SHOULD LOOK AT THE PICK-UP SCREEN AND MEASURE IT. WE LIKE TO ACTUALLY PUT CLAY ON THE TUBE (WITH TAPE OVER IT) AND INSTALL THE PAN TO MAKE SURE WE DON'T HAVE A CLEARANCE PROBLEM. TOO MUCH AND IT WILL SUCK AIR ESPECIALLY ON A MOTOR THAT IS NOT RESTRICTED, TOO LITTLE AND IT WILL CAVITATE. THE USE OF STOCK OR "CLAIMER" PANS IS A PROBLEM TOO, THEY CANNOT CONTROL THE OIL AND DIRECT IT BACK PROPERLY ALOT OF TIMES AND YOU HAVE THIS HAPPEN, BUT IF THIS THE CASE YOU WILL SEE THE GUAGE IN THE CAR BOUNCE QUITE A BIT.
GREGG PSR ENGINES PFLUGERVILLE,TX.

neverenoughbrew
Dirt Full Roller

Total posts: 56
posted February 13, 2002 06:05 PM
Turn my 377 8000 to 8300, could not even imagine drilling holes in mains to shoot oil! Never needed to cool pistons. Sounds like lack of lube. Where could it be going? No offence taken Please. lol

George Gilliland
Dirt Full Roller

Total posts: 39
posted February 14, 2002 03:48 PM
Do not have any extra holes! The oil after going to the rod bearings is splatered every where and this lubes the pistons and cam.

EVANSRACING24E
Dirt Full Roller

Total posts: 71
posted February 14, 2002 10:56 PM
have you checked the caps?

uforacing51
Dirt Freak

Total posts: 240
posted February 14, 2002 11:16 PM
call the manufacturer of the oil sump system and ask them, they may be able to help you get this sorted out. sounds like an expensive problem and I sure wouldn't race that engine till I got it cured. Good luck with it.

Back to the Archives