Visit The Dirt Forum for More Information

Author Topic:   Ford 9" housing mods
Dirt Maniac

Total posts: 174
posted November 19, 2002 09:58 AM
I'm building a new 9" rear end for my street stock. I've got the housing completely bare and clean, so it's a good time to add a convenient drain plug and fill plug/tube, don't you think? Does anyone have suggestions on how to do a good job or know where I can find a picture of a pro job?

Another rear end question; what would be the best rear end lube to use? Since it doesn't need much, and it doesn't get changed very often, cost isn't nearly the factor that it is with motor oil. Would a thinner synthetic free up a horse or two?


Dirt Freak

Total posts: 346
posted November 19, 2002 11:22 AM
from speedway engineering's FAQ section...


>How much and which oil do you recommend for your rear end units?<

"We suggest you use a good grade oil, 85-140 wt,. such as Mobil 1, which we use on our house car. Never fill the Quick Changes or Ford housings any higher than bottom of 3 in axle tube. We do install level checks, at that point on all our Quick Changes and Floater housings. On the Quick Changes this is on the right side bell and/or on the center spur gear case. On the Floater Housings, the level check is on the back cover."


PS... a drain plug should be installed facing down (or back at the bottom is fine) and the fill hole should be slightly higher than the level plug on the carrier.

speedway engineering feels that a large vent is not required (they ship their housings with a stock size ,1/4" NPT IIRC, vent hole)

and remember if you are going to put in inner (tube)seals .... you need to use axel grease on the axel/hub bearings.

jhon hollomon
Dirt Maniac

Total posts: 181
posted November 19, 2002 11:22 AM
We used United Lubricants synthetic gear oil this year. It really seened to keep the heat down as opposed to regular 80-90.The drain and filler are a good thing to have. Makes oil and gear changes so much quicker.

Dirt Freak

Total posts: 352
posted November 19, 2002 12:22 PM
just go to the hardware store and buy a steel reducer like you use for your water temp etc, but larger and weld it in...

i use a 1 inch pipe on top left of housing for vent , its got a 3 ft hose or so that goes back to a can i make the size of a pop can with another 1 inch pipe on top and a k&n filter on it. i use it as a filler also, it fills really fast with the plug out on back of diff that tells you how full you are...

i move the full plug up one inch like said earlier by someone. and use 1 inch for drain also so its fast....

Back to the Archives