Visit The Dirt Forum for More Information

Author Topic:   New Leaf Springs
Stonewall
Dirt Full Roller

Total posts: 44
posted January 23, 2002 12:58 PM UIN: 10024185
I'll be getting new leaf springs this year, and was wondering what you guys thoughts were on the the best spring rates. My educated guess is 200 lb. on the right and 225 on the left. I have a 3400 lb. camaro and race @ Oakshade Raceway, a 3/8 mi. BUMPY track.

I hear a lot about getting weight to transfer. How do you judge something like that? Perhaps with shock travel? If so, what would the ideal shock travel be?

I also was wondering if anyone has used the adjustable lowering blocks they sell at speedway and what success if any you had. When I measured my cars wheelbase, the right side was longer than the left. I thought of using these to correct.

...Stonewall

[This message has been edited by Stonewall (edited January 23, 2002).]

driver27
Dirt Full Roller

Total posts: 69
posted January 25, 2002 01:37 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Stonewall:
I'll be getting new leaf springs this year, and was wondering what you guys thoughts were on the the best spring rates. My educated guess is 200 lb. on the right and 225 on the left. I have a 3400 lb. camaro and race @ Oakshade Raceway, a 3/8 mi. BUMPY track.

I hear a lot about getting weight to transfer. How do you judge something like that? Perhaps with shock travel? If so, what would the ideal shock travel be?

I also was wondering if anyone has used the adjustable lowering blocks they sell at speedway and what success if any you had. When I measured my cars wheelbase, the right side was longer than the left. I thought of using these to correct.

...Stonewall


[This message has been edited by Stonewall (edited January 23, 2002).]


I think your pretty close on your spring rates with that weight car, real borderline on whether or not you should bump them up 25 pounds each due to weight. I ran those springs on a 3000 car and felt they were pretty good. Personally, i'd stay away from the landrum springs as the 200 will lose ach very quickly and forward bite is history at that point. After thinking about it, perhaps a 225 and 250 is a better combination for a bumpy track.

Also, take those springs apart and polish in between each leaf, then grease them up and wrap them loosely in duct tape, you will be amazed how much this little trick smooths a set of leafs out. Remember they slide on each other to work, so free them up by polishing and lubing.

As for the adjustable lowering blocks, they work great, do no hesitate to use at least one, just remeber to loosen up the u bolts on both sides before adjusting, to keep leafs from cocking and binding.

I have some other tricks if your interested, just send me a private message if interested.

Van

Stonewall
Dirt Full Roller

Total posts: 44
posted January 25, 2002 02:23 PM UIN: 10024185
I don't know if I'm real hip on taking them apart. Aren't the clips rivited on? What is a better brand of leaf spring than landrum?

...Stonewall

istock59
Dirt Freak

Total posts: 237
posted January 25, 2002 02:44 PM
Hypercoil has a very nice looking composite/fiberglass leaf spring. If I was running a leaf car, I'd sure look at them.


Stonewall
Dirt Full Roller

Total posts: 44
posted January 25, 2002 03:37 PM UIN: 10024185
I currently have a multi-leaf setup with shackles. I'm going to assume that the hypercoil leaf spring is a monoleaf type spring. I was told that to switch to a monoleaf setup, I would need to use coil-over shocks and spring sliders. Am I way off? Also, I haven't found who sells these but the hypercoil website leads me to think that these are really expensive.

istock59
Dirt Freak

Total posts: 237
posted January 25, 2002 03:45 PM
I didn't really look at the hypercoil leafs, but I thought they were in the 225/250 lbs range, which would lead me to believe they were not monoleaf/coilover design.

I've got a catalog at home, I'll look tonight and let you know.

I also see in your first post that you race at Oakshade. Do you know a good friend of mine, Brad Kendall?

[This message has been edited by istock59 (edited January 25, 2002).]

driver27
Dirt Full Roller

Total posts: 69
posted January 28, 2002 12:11 PM
quote:
Originally posted by istock59:
I didn't really look at the hypercoil leafs, but I thought they were in the 225/250 lbs range, which would lead me to believe they were not monoleaf/coilover design.

I've got a catalog at home, I'll look tonight and let you know.

I also see in your first post that you race at Oakshade. Do you know a good friend of mine, Brad Kendall?

[This message has been edited by istock59 (edited January 25, 2002).]



driver27
Dirt Full Roller

Total posts: 69
posted January 28, 2002 12:16 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Stonewall:
I currently have a multi-leaf setup with shackles. I'm going to assume that the hypercoil leaf spring is a monoleaf type spring. I was told that to switch to a monoleaf setup, I would need to use coil-over shocks and spring sliders. Am I way off? Also, I haven't found who sells these but the hypercoil website leads me to think that these are really expensive.


I prefer the afco leafs, they seem to hold up better. As far as taking them off, they are not rivited together, and its not a really big deal to take them apart. If the rules allow it, then fiberglas leafs are the only way to go. They never lose arch or rate, and will last forever. The downside is that they are expensive,and must be wrapped to protect them. The only way to break one is to get a crack started, then it will eventually come apart. However they have tremendous forward bite and you will kill everyone else if they are on conventional leafs. Something to ponder is they last forever and if your serious about racing, you will have a mountian of used leafs after a while, so the price is in line. Stacked steel leafs have a limited life, remeber that.

tim gaeber
Dirt Roller

Total posts: 8
posted January 29, 2002 02:25 PM
Where do you get the glass leafs?

6pack
Dirt Maniac

Total posts: 128
posted January 29, 2002 03:09 PM
http://flex-a-form.com/

Stonewall
Dirt Full Roller

Total posts: 44
posted January 30, 2002 08:25 AM UIN: 10024185
quote:
Originally posted by istock59:
I've got a catalog at home, I'll look tonight and let you know.

I also see in your first post that you race at Oakshade. Do you know a good friend of mine, Brad Kendall?


I don't know Brad Kendall personally, but the name sounds very familiar. What car number was he? I seem to remember car numbers better than people's names! Did you ever find out about the rate/cost of the hypercoil leafs from your catalog?

...Stonewall


6pack
Dirt Maniac

Total posts: 128
posted January 30, 2002 08:32 PM
Here's a link to the new Hypercoil composite leafs. http://www.hypercoils.com/text/leafsprings.htm

istock59
Dirt Freak

Total posts: 237
posted February 02, 2002 12:37 PM
Stonewall, I finally dug up my catalog. They show both Chrysler and Chevy leafs. The Chevy ones are 150/175/200/225/250 rates. $270 each, so they ain't exactly cheap...

Brand Kendall races the 42 white/red sportsman.

LeafsRus
Dirt Newbie

Total posts: 2
posted February 03, 2002 08:20 AM
Listen to driver27, good advice. I agree with the higher spring rates (if rw % is right), thats a heavy camero on a rough track.

Weight transfer? Yeap, tie strap on shock rod, I use almost all the travel the shock will allow.(thats what they're on there for,right? Alot depends on track condition & drivers style.

If you're allowed adjustable lowering blocks, use'em.

Also, if you don't have'em already, do yourself a favor and build a set of spring savers. (it kills me, watching a leaf car bouncing down the road on a trailer)$$$

Good luck in 02

p.s. nice site


Doug 86
Dirt Roller

Total posts: 12
posted March 07, 2002 10:35 PM UIN: 77655541
What are spring savers?

Doug 86
Dirt Roller

Total posts: 12
posted March 07, 2002 10:36 PM UIN: 77655541
What are spring savers?

streetstock20
Dirt Newbie

Total posts: 3
posted March 08, 2002 06:01 AM
Jack up the rear of the car with the frame or rear bumper, with the rear end hanging, put something in between rear end housing and frame to keep the weight off of the rear suspension.

Back to the Archives