posted September 02, 2002 11:01 AM
O'REILLY AUTO PARTS MID-AMERICA RACING SERIES
Friday, September 30, 2002
By Larry Olson; Mountain Home, AR
LOCUST GROVE AR. Stacy Taylor notched his third career O'Reilly Auto Parts Mid-America Racing Series win Friday at the Batesville Speedway. Taylor used his third career pole to score the wire-to-wire win, leading all 30 Laps. Taylor added $3,000 to his bank account for the win.
Taylor shared the front row with Donnie Barnhart. Taylor moved to the lead with Barnhart and Bill Frye going side by side for second. Leslie Essary and Kenny Merchant dropped in behind the front-runners. Frye moved by Barnhart for second in turn three on the opening lap. Terry Phillips moved past Merchant for fifth in turn four on the second lap. Leslie Essary improved to third, past Barnhart in turn two on lap three, then Phillips moved by Barnhart in turn four on the same lap.
Out front, Taylor had opened a 10 carlength lead on Frye by lap six, and was a half straightaway ahead of the field by lap 8. Kenny Merchant raced by Barnhart for fifth on lap nine. Jeff Floyd brought out the only caution of the race on lap 10 as he stopped on the front stretch with a flat tire.
Steve Rushin got a huge restart, besting Kenny Merchant and Terry Phillips, improving to fourth. Wendell Wallace drove by Phillips for fifth in turn four on lap 12. Rushin and Essary ran side by side on lap15, then Rushin made the pass in turn two on lap 16 to take over 3rd. Wallace slipped past Essary in turn four on lap 17.
Out front Stacy Taylor, headed the pack by 10 carlengths on lap 18, and was looking at traffic by lap 20. Taylor added another 5 carlenghts to his lead by lap 23. Merchant rallied back around Essary, re-taking 5th.
Stacy Taylor came home with the win, with Bill Frye second, Steve Rushin with his best finish of the year third. Wendell Wallace and Kenny Merchant making up the top five. Leslie Essary, Jeff Taylor, Terry Phillips, Jerry Buck, and Donnie Barnhart rounded out the top ten.
Top Qualifier: Stacy Taylor
Hard Charger: Jerry Buck
Provisionals: Dewaine Hottinger (3), Jason Snodgrass (3)
Lap Leaders: Stacy Taylor 1-30
A FEATURE (30 Laps)
1) Stacy Taylor, GRT/Dickens/Monte Carlo; $3,000
2) Bill Frye, GRT/Kuntz/Mustang; $2,000
3) Steve Rushin, GRT/Hatfield/Monte Carlo; $1,250
4) Wendell Wallace, GRT/Gaerte/Grand Prix; $1,100
5) Kenny Merchant, Warrior/Craft/Mustang; $1,000
6) Leslie Essary, GRT/Mike's/Grand Prix; $750
7) Jeff Taylor, Shaw-Rocket/Kuntz/Taurus; $700
8) Terry Phillips, GRT/Hatfield/Monte Carlo; $675
9) Jerry Buck, GRT/Hatfield/Monte Carlo; $650
10) Donnie Barnhart, GRT/Kuntz/Grand Prix; $625
11) Brandon Ball, GRT/Hatfield/Grand Prix; $600
12) David Brazeale, GRT/Barker/Monte Carlo; $575
13) Joey Mack, GRT/Kuntz/Mustang; $550
14) Jeff Floyd, GRT/Kuntz/Grand Prix; $525
15) Dewaine Hottinger, GRT/Kuntz/Grand Prix; $500
16) Jason Snodgrass, GRT/Hatfield/Grand Prix; $500
17) Duke Whiseant, Rayburn/Dickens/Monte Carlo; $500
18) Mike Bowers, GRT/Hatfield/Monte Carlo; $500
19) Gary Stolba, GRT/Hatfield/Monte Carlo; $500
20) Raymond Merrill, GRT/Kuntz/Grand Prix; $500
21) Rob Mayea, Rocket/Gray's/Grand Prix; $500
22) David Gibson, Shaw-Rocket/Hatfield/Monte Carlo; $500
1st Heat (12 Laps) 1) Stacy Taylor, Jacksonville AR 2) Rob Mayea, Bend OR 3) David Gibson, Ash Flat AR 4) Mike Bowers, North Little Rock AR 5) Brandon Ball, West Plains MO 6) Stacy Caldwell, Nettleton MS 7) Gregg Herron, Little Rock AR (scatch, Kenneth Crowe)
2nd Heat 1) Donnie Barnhart, North Little Rock AR 2) Wendell Wallace, Batesville AR 3) Jeff Floyd, Walnut Ridge AR 4) Gary Stolba, Willow Springs MO 5) Raymond Merrill, Sallisaw OK 6) Jason Snodgrass, Mountain Home AR 7) Mike McNay, Stuttgart AR
3rd Heat 1) Bill Frye, Greenbriar AR 2) Terry Phillips, Springfield MO 3) Jeff Taylor, Batesville AR 4) Joey Mack, Benton MO 5) Jerry Buck, Paragould AR 6) Shane Diamant, North Little Rock AR 7) Dewaine Hottinger, Russellville AR
4th Heat 1) Leslie Essary, Crane MO 2) Kenny Merchant, Ruston LA 3) Steve Rushin, Poplar Bluff MO 4) David Brazeale, Four Corners MS 5) Duke Whiseant, Texarkana AR 6) Mark Norris, Clinton AR 7) John Pafford, Germantown TN
Last Chance Qualifier (15 Laps, four transfer) 1) Brandon Ball 2) Jerry Buck 3) Duke Whiseant 4) Raymond Merrill 5) Mark Norris 6) Shane Diamant 7) Dewaine Hottinger 8) Jason Snodgrass 9) John Pafford 10) Stacy Caldwell 11) Mike McNay (scratches: Gregg Herron, Kenneth Crowe)