posted August 24, 2002 11:34 AM
O'Reilly M.A.R.S. at Memphis Motorsports Park
O'REILLY AUTO PARTS MID-AMERICA RACING SERIES
HOOTER'S MEMPHIS MAYHEM
Memphis Motorsports Park
Friday, August 23, 2002
By Larry Olson; Mountain Home, AR
MEMPHIS TN. Jeff Floyd picked up his second career O'Reilly Auto Parts Mid-America Racing Series feature win Friday at the Memphis Motorsports Park in the Hooter's Memphis Mayhem event. Floyd survived a battle of the fittest, as 23 cars started the main event on the tight ¼ mile oval. Floyd claimed the $3,000 top prize for his effort.
Leslie Essary was the polesitter, with Blake Lane to his outside. Essary moved to the lead as the green flag unfurled, with Lane, Mike Car, Floyd, and Danny Christian as the early front runners. Floyd was by Car on the opening lap, then Christian bested Car on lap two for fourth. Terry Phillips, who came from the sixth row, moved by Car on lap three, taking the fifth spot.
Jerry Buck brought out the first caution, as he was into the frontstretch wall on lap five. Floyd got the best of Lane on the restart, moving to second, then drove under Essary into the lead in turn four on lap six. The caution flag waved again on lap seven for Mike Poyner, who was spun in turn two. David Gibson and Mark Sartain were also in the wall just as the caution came out. Terry Phillips gave up his top five spot, to pit during the caution as well.
Jeff Taylor moved to fourth on the restart, then the caution flag waved again, once again for Jerry Buck who got turned around on the backstretch.
Floyd and Essary were pacing the field by half a straightaway by lap 10, then the field was slowed again for caution, this time for Gary Stolba who was turned the wrong way in turn two.
Floyd and Essary pulled away from the field again, and were a half straightaway ahead by lap 14. The front pair were starting to encounter traffic by lap 15. Terry Phillips made his way back to fifth by lap 17, then got by Billy James for fourth on lap 22. Contact turned Phillips around in turn two, causing another caution on lap 23, sending Phillips to the back of the pack for the second time.
Bill Frye inherited fifth on the restart, then got by James for fourth in turn two. The final caution waved on the next circuit, for Jeff Taylor who got dumped into the turn one wall.
Floyd and Essary pulled away from the field once again, and were a full straight over Blake Lane in third by lap 28. The pair were back to working traffic by lap 30. Floyd got some clear track on lap 35, and went the rest of the way to pick up the win.
Jeff Floyd took the checkers, with Leslie Essary, Blake Lane, Bill Frye, and Carey Conaway making up the top five. Terry Phillips rallied for sixth, with Billy James, Jamie Dacus, David Gibson, and Billy Peden rounding out the top ten.
Top Qualifier: Leslie Essary
Hard Charger: Carey Conaway
Provisionals: Steve Rushin (5); Joey Mack (3)
Promoter's Choice: Tommy Ray
Lap Leaders: Leslie Essary 1-5, Jeff Floyd 6-40
A Feature (40 Laps)
1) Jeff Floyd, GRT/Kuntz/Grand Prix; $3,000
2) Leslie Essary, GRT/Mike's/Grand Prix; $2,000
3) Blake Lane, Rayburn/Vaughn/Monte Carlo; $1,250
4) Bill Frye, GRT/Kuntz/Mustang; $1,100
5) Carey Conaway, GRT/****ens/Grand Prix; $1,000
6) Terry Phillips, GRT/Hatfield/Monte Carlo; $750
7) Billy James, Rocket/Robinson/Monte Carlo; $700
8) Jamie Dacus, GRT/Pruitt/Monte Carlo; $675
9) David Gibson, GRT/Hatfield/Monte Carlo; $650
10) Billy Peden, GRT/Hatfield/Grand Prix; $625
11) Tommy Ray, GRT/****ens/Grand Prix; $600
12) Rudy Bobo, Rayburn/Performance/Lumina; $575
13) Gary Stolba, GRT/Hatfield/Monte Carlo; $550
14) Jeff Taylor, Shaw-Rocket/Kuntz/Taurus; $525
15) Joey Mack, Larry Shaw/McCarver/Grand Prix; $500
16) Jamie Elam, GRT/na/Grand Prix; $500
17) Danny Christian, GRT/Christian/Grand Prix; $500
18) Mike Poyner, Warrior/Barker/Monte Carlo; $500
19) Mike Car, Larry Shaw/Howard/Grand Prix; $500
20) Jerry Buck, GRT/Hatfield/Monte Carlo; $500
21) Steve Rushin, GRT/Hatfield/Monte Carlo; $500
22) Mark Sartain, GRT/Christian/Monte Carlo; $500
23) Darrin Baxter, Swartz/Sellers/Monte Carlo; $500
1st Heat (12 Laps) 1) Leslie Essary, Crane MO 2) Jeff Floyd, Walnut Ridge AR 3) Terry Phillips, Springfield MO 4) Billy Peden, Marion AR 5) Dewaine Hottinger, Russellville AR 6) Steve Rushin, Poplar Bluff MO 7) Dean Carpenter, Coldwater MS 8) Stacy Caldwell, Nettleton MS
2nd Heat 1) Blake Lane , Bono AR 2) Jeff Taylor, Batesville AR 3) Jamie Ascus, Lakeland TN 4) Mike Poyner, Grenada MS 5) Billy James, Sikeston MO 6) Jerry Buck, Paragould AR 7) Raymond Merrill, Sallisaw OK 8) Terry Pool, Olive Branch MS
3rd Heat 1) Mike Car, Olive Branch MS 2) Jamie Elam, Hernando MS 3) Darrin Baxter, Clarksville TN 4) Bill Frye, Greenbriar AR 5) David Gibson, Ash Flat AR 6) Marty Allison, Paris TN 7) Tim Howard, Coldwater MS 8) Joey Mack, Benton MO
4th Heat 1) Rudy Bobo, Walnut MS 2) Mark Sartain, Corinth MS 3) Danny Christian, Corinth MS 4) Gary Stolba, Willow Springs MO 5) Carey Conaway, Jonesboro AR 6) Tommy Ray, Southhaven MS 7) Lyle Seltmann, Collierville TN
Last Chance Qualifier (12 Laps, four transfer) 1) Billy James 2) Carey Conaway 3) David Gibson 4) Jerry Buck 5) Steve Rushin 6) Tommy Ray 7) Terry Pool 8) Dewaine Hottinger 9) Marty Allison 10) Raymond Merrill 11) Dean Carpenter 12) Lyle Seltmann 13) Tim Howard 14) Stacy Caldwell (scratch: Joey Mack)