posted July 13, 2002 03:22 PM
O'REILLY AUTO PARTS MID-AMERICA RACING SERIES
Friday, July 12, 2002
By Larry Olson; Mountain Home, AR
TULSA OK. Bill Frye turned in a dominating performance Friday Night at the Tulsa Speedway. Frye led the last 18 laps of the O'Reilly Auto Parts Mid-America Racing Series Feature, pulling away to a half lap margin over second place running Terry Phillips. Frye found his way around Phillips in the traffic of a 40 Lap race run without a caution on lap 23. Frye collected $3,000 for the win.
Terry Phillips was the top qualifier, with Wendell Wallace by his side. Phillips moved to the lead as the green flag unfurled, with Wallace, Jeff Taylor, Leslie Essary, and Frye falling in behind. Frye moved past Essary for the fourth position in turn four on the second lap. Phillips lead Wallace by five carlengths by lap three, and had moved to a 10 carlength margin by lap five.
Frye and Taylor battled for the third spot, going side by side on lap six. Taylor was able to hold Frye off for the moment. Out front, Phillips was still maintaining a 10 carlength lead over Wallace by lap 10.
A battle developed for the fifth spot, with Essary, Raymond Merrill and Al Purkey all jockeying for the position. The threesome would go two and three wide. Frye finally worked past Taylor for the third spot coming out of turn four on lap 15.
Out front, Terry Phillips was finally starting to get into traffic by lap 16, and the top four quickly closed up nose to tail as lapping slower cars proved to be difficult. Frye got past Wallace for second on lap 19, then was dueling side by side with Phillips for the lead on lap 20.
Al Purkey finally settled things for the fifth spot, getting by Essary on lap 21. Frye got by Phillips in traffic coming out of turn two on lap 23, and quickly started getting by slower cars at a faster pace than Phillips had been able to do. Frye cleared his last back marker by lap 25, and had most of a straightaway of clear track to work with. Frye had galloped out to a half straight margin by lap 30, and was nearly a full straight ahead by lap 35.
Bill Frye came home with the win. Terry Phillips settled for second, Jeff Taylor used a white flag lap pass to gain third, with Wendell Wallace and Al Purkey making up the top five. Brad Looney was sixth, the last car on the lead lap. Raymond Merrill, Jeff Floyd, Charlie Randolph, and Stacy Taylor rounded out the top ten.
Top Qualifier: Terry Phillips
Hard Charger: Al Purkey
Lap Leaders: Terry Phillips 1-22, Bill Frye, 23-40
A Feature (40 Laps)
1) Bill Frye, GRT/Kuntz/Mutang; $3,000
2) Terry Phillips, GRT/Hatfield/Monte Carlo; $2,000
3) Jeff Taylor, Shaw-Rocket/Kuntz/Taurus; $1,250
4) Wendell Wallace, GRT/Gaerte/Grand Prix; $1,100
5) Al Purkey, Larry Shaw/Hatfield/Grand Prix; $1,000
6) Brad Looney, Warrior/Hatfield/Grand Prix; $750
7) Raymond Merrill, GRT/Baker/Grand Prix; $700
8) Jeff Floyd, GRT/Kuntz/Grand Prix; $675
9) Charlie Randolph, GRT/BMS/Monte Carlo; $650
10) Stacy Taylor, GRT/Dickens/Monte Carlo; $625
11) Justin Fulton, Rocket/Baker/Grand Prix; $600
12) David Gibson, Shaw-Rocket/Hatfield/Monte Carlo; $575
13) Dewaine Hottinger, GRT/Kuntz/Grand Prix; $550
14) Steve Rushin, GRT/Hatfield/Monte Carlo; $525
15) Jerry Buck, GRT/Hafield/Monte Carlo; $500
16) Dan Leatherman, GRT/Baker/Monte Carlo; $500
17) Joey Mack, GRT/Kuntz/Mustang; $500
18) Shane Diamant, GRT/Cabot/Grand Prix; $500
19) Gary Stolba, GRT/Hatfield/Monte Carlo; $500
20) Leslie Essary, GRT/Mike's/Grand Prix; $500
1st Heat (12 Laps) 1) Leslie Essary, Crane MO 2) Jeff Taylor, Batesville AR 3) Bill Frye, Greenbriar AR 4) Brad Looney, Republic MO 5) Shane Diamant, North Little Rock AR 6) Terry Melton, Bartlesville OK 7) Gary Stolba, Willow Springs MO 8) Steve Rushin, Poplar Bluff MO 9) Dale Harris, Decatur AR
2nd Heat 1) Terry Phillips, Springfield MO 2) Raymond Merrill, Sallisaw OK 3) Charlie Randolph, Muskogee OK 4) Jeff Floyd, Walnut Ridge AR 5) Dewaine Hottinger, Russellville AR 6) Joey Mack, Benton MO 7) Dan Leatherman, Muskogee OK 8) Don Seabolt, Tulsa OK
3rd Heat 1) Wendell Wallace, Batesville AR 2) Stacy Taylor, Jacksonville AR 3) Justin Fulton, Muskogee OK 4) Al Purkey, Coffeyville KS 5) David Gibson, Ash Flat AR 6) Jerry Buck, Paragould AR 7) Klint Purskley, Locust Grove OK 8) Matt Weston, Muskogee OK
Last Chance Qualifier (10 Laps, four transfer) 1) Joey Mack 2) Steve Rushin 3) Gary Stolba 4) Dan Leatherman 5) Dale Harris 6) Matt Weston 7) Terry Melton 8) Klint Pursley 9) Don Seabolt