posted June 17, 2002 01:32 AM
Shanks hauls in another victory; Myers Jr. is unstoppable
The KFVS 12 Winged Sprint feature found a familiar name in victory as Alex Shanks dueled with Scott Simion during the final six laps of the feature event to earn the victory.
Scott Simion and Jason Evans shared the front-row starting positions. At the green Simion jumped to the advantage.
Simion held the position to lap four when Daron Clayton slid around for the lead. Simion would fall back to second with Shanks and Evans behind them.
On lap 12 Evans fell out with mechanical problems and the mechanical gremlins struck once again as Clayton fell out on the 19th circuit, handing the lead back to the 4f car of Simion.
From lap 19 to 23 Simion would hold off Shanks, but the Christopher, Ill driver couldn’t hold of the 66 car any longer as Shanks motored around Simion for the lead.
Shanks would cross the finish line just ahead of Simion with Todd Rowland making his way through the field to finish third, Robbie Standridge finished fourth and Shawn King earned the fifth position.
In Pure Street action Cline Myers Jr. continued his winning ways by tying the record for consecutive victories by picking up his seventh straight feature win. Myers Jr. is unbeaten this year in the Pure Street division at the Auto Tire and Parts Racepark.
Polesitter Danny Hampton led the first six laps of the main event before being passed by the eventual winner. Hampton held on to the second position at the closing of the 15 lap event. Matt Naeger finished third followed by Barry Pender and Jeff Beeson rounded out the top-five.
A caution filled Miller Lite Modified event found Fenton, Mo racer Jeff Parmer standing in victory lane at the end of the night. Nathan Higgins survived the wild night to finish in second while Jeff Hall Jr. courted another top-five finish with a third. The 2002 Miller Lite Modified Rookie of the Year Matt James finished fourth with Leo Kiefer of Perryville finishing in fifth.
Dana Rowland and Joan Mayberry dominated the Motorsports Unlimited Cruiser feature to pick up their first career feature win. The team of Jimmy Griffon and Jason Reddick finished second with Jason Gaurdian and Daniel Hancock earning the final podium spot.
KFVS 12 Sprint Cars
1. 66 Alex Shanks Marion, IL
2. 4F Scott Simion Christopher, IL
3. 14R Todd Rowland Jackson, MO
4. 12x Robbie Standridge Springfield, IL
5. 11J Paul Sides Memphis, TN
6. 9 Shawn King Cape Girardeau, MO
7. 1C Tommy Scott Springfield, IL
8. 3 Andy Holden Dudley, MO
9. 21 Tonya Rowland Jackson, MO
10. 7C Shane Wade Marion, IL
1. 01 Cline Myers, Jr Scott City, MO
2. 84 Danny Hampton Blodgett, MO
3. 6 Matt Naeger Perryville, MO
4. 79 Barry Pender Millersville, MO
5. 4 Jeff Beason Benton, MO 3. 6. 22
6. 22 Deakon Bragg Cape Girardeau, MO
7. 72 Jason Mueller Perryville, MO
8. 27 Tim Purl Kennett, MO
9. 75 Gene Kay Perryville, MO
10. 65 Nancy Baker Zeigler, IL
Miller Lite Modifieds
1. 5 Jeff Parmer Fenton, MO
2. 29 Nathan Higgins Farmington, MO
3. 69 Jeff Hall, Jr Blodgett, MO
4. 16 Matt James Jackson, MO
5. 62K Leo Kiefer Perryville, MO
6. 95S Danny Sissom Cape Girardeau, MO
7. 10 Terry Baker Scott City, MO
8. 51 Pat Davidson Jackson, MO
9. 12C Ben Gerdes Marble Hill, MO
10. 24 Bill McAllister Puxico, MO
Motorsports Unlimited Cruisers
1. 110 Rowland/Mayberry Jackson, MO
2. 4 Griffin/Reddick Kelso, MO
3. 5 Guardian/Hancock Jonesboro, IL
4. 30 Trankler/Bartels Cape Girardeau, MO
5. 18L Moll/Short Scott City, MO
6. 77 Hurst/Bowen Millersvile, MO
7. 21C Clifton/Helm Advance, MO
8. 92 Foreseter/Hall Paducah, KY
9. 74 Calder/Calder Clarkton, MO
10. 7M Mathis/Mathis Thebes, IL