Total posts: 3279
posted September 02, 2001 04:04 PM
Burgtorf adds to points lead with Deery win at West Burlington
WEST BURLINGTON, Iowa (Sept. 1) - This time, Mark Burgtorf left no room to improve.
Burgtorf won Saturday night's Deery Brothers Summer Series feature at 34 Raceway. He'd finished third in the previ-ous I.M.C.A. Sunoco Late Model tour event, also at the West Burlington track, on Aug. 16.
Starting on the outside of row two and taking the lead on the second circuit, Burgtorf checked out on the rest of the field before a three-car mishap brought out the red flag midway through the 40-lapper.
He jumped out to another big lead after the re-start and was never threatened. Pole starter Jay Johnson was second and Darrel DeFrance and Tom Darbyshire made late moves to round out the top four.
Fifth went to Jim Sandusky.
The victory gave Burgtorf a little more padding in his series points lead over Jason Friesen. That margin is now 28 points, with the next race tonight (Sunday) at Quincy, Ill., Raceway, Burgtorf's home-town track.
Heat winners were Johnson, Friesen, Jeff Guengerich and Ron Elbe.
Johnny Johnson and Terry Ryan topped the "B" features.
From Quincy, the series travels Sept. 7 to the I.M.C.A. Speedway Motors at the Boone Speedway on Sept. 7, returns the next night to 34 Raceway and then makes its first-ever appearance Sept. 13 at the Farley Speedway as part of the Yankee Dirt Track Classic.
The series concludes with a two-day show Sept. 21-22 at Lee County Speedway in Donnellson.
Burgtorf won the series championship in 1998. The Saturday night win was his second this season and the 11th of his Deery career.
1. Mark Burgtorf, Quincy, Ill.
2. Jay Johnson, West Burlington
3. Darrel DeFrance, Marshall-town
4. Tom Darbyshire, Morning Sun
5. Jim Sandusky, Coal Valley, Ill.
6. Terry Schlipman, Mendon, Ill.
7. Boone McLaughlin, Mediapolis
8. Gary Russell, Biggsville, Ill.
9. Jason Friesen, Sutton, Neb.
10. Jeff Laue, Burlington
11. Jeff Guengerich, Washington
12. Johnny Johnson, West Burlington
13. Terry Ryan, Davenport
14. Jeremiah Hurst, DeWitt
15. Sam Halstead, New London
16. Mike Cothron, Moline, Ill.
17. Brenton Slocum, Burlington
18. Mike Smith, Jewell
19. Ron Elbe, Augusta, Ill.
20. Thad Wilson, Moline, Ill.
21. Ron Gustaf, Moline, Ill.
22. Keith Pratt, Quincy, Ill.
23. Gordon Grubb, Oskaloosa
24. Chris Richard, Mount Pleasant.
Top 20 Point Standings
1. Burgtorf, 456
2. Friesen, 428
3. Smith, 398
4. Russell, 396;
5. Rob Toland, Hillsdale, Ill., 384
6. Ryan, 372
7. DeFrance, 362
8. Darbyshire, 334
9. Slocum, 318
10. McLaughlin, 274
11. Brad Osborn, Janesville, 248
12. Chris Smyser, Lancaster, Mo., 244
13. Cothron, 236
14. Hurst, 228
15. Jeff Aikey, Cedar Falls, 202
16. Schlipman, 200
17. Tommy Elston, Keokuk, 196
18. Dale Stolte, Springville, 180
19. Todd Cooney, Des Moines, 170
20. Dave Schrader, Monroe, 162