Visit The Dirt Forum for More Information

Author Topic:   Vejtruba Takes Grove Creek Mod Checkers, Paulson, Johnson and Eischens Repeat
Dirt Administrator

Total posts: 3279
posted July 30, 2001 07:55 AM UIN: 16262997
Vejtruba Takes Grove Creek Mod Checkers, Paulson, Johnson and Eischens Repeat and Martinson Records his First Win

GROVE CITY, MN - It was another early start at the Creek last Saturday as the new lighting was not quite ready to go. French Lake Auto Parts and Snap-On Tools were the sponsors for the show and it was good racing all around.

The WISSOTA Modified feature was a good one as drivers were battling for position all through the pack. Roger Canon of Willmar took the initial lead and was running the fast groove. Jason Vejtruba of Lake Lillian quickly moved into the runner-up spot and pursued Canon with Spicer's Brian Nelson on his bumper. Nelson got by for the second spot only to have Vejtruba take it back a lap later. A yellow flag on lap seven tightened things up again but it was still Canon up front on the restart. Vejtruba made his move a lap later to snatch the lead away. Jamie Lemke of Hutchinson and Shawn Nolan of Annandale now entered the chase. On lap twelve, disaster struck as Curly Williams of Sauk Rapids went airborne off of turn one. Williams went over several times coming to a halt when he struck a small tree about ten feet off the ground and came to rest next to it. When track officials arrived, Williams was unconscious and the car was severely mangled. Rescue crews had to cautiously cut the twisted cage to remove the veteran driver. Once extracted, Curly was transported to the hospital in Litchfield. After examination, Williams was treated and released with minor injuries. The car however was totally destroyed. When racing resumed, it was green, white checkered and Vejtruba held on for the win. Jamie Lemke was able to power his way into second and Shawn Nolan passed two cars on the last lap for a third place finish.

Scott Paulson recorded another clean sweep in the WISSOTA Street Stocks. The Kimball hot shoe won his heat race and the feature. Gary Pischke of Ramsey took the lead at the wave of the green and held it until his axle broke on lap four. With Pischke out, Jordan Bulthuis of Willmar took the top spot but Chad Walz of Big Lake had other plans. Walz shot by on the next lap while Scotty "Too Hotty" Paulson was working his way methodically through the field. Paulson caught Walz on lap seven and the rest is history as Paulson went on to win. Shane Smetana of Cold Spring had a solid race as he was able to bring the #91 car all the way to second and Bulthuis ran had a good showing for third.

Brandon Willard of Cold Spring was the top dog in the WISSOTA Mod-Four main, at least for the first six laps. Willard was running strong and had a several car length cushion of the speedy field until a lap seven caution regrouped the pack. On the restart, Steve Johnson of Alexandria took control of the race and was quickly followed by Jason Voigt of Richmond and Bryce Bjerke of Argusville N.D. moved in. Bjerke and Voigt had a see-saw battle going for second until Voigt settled into the spot with two laps to go. Johnson was smooth and picked up the win followed closely by Voigt and Bjerke.

The WISSOTA Super Stocks put on a good show as Brady Johanneck of Spicer grabbed the point for the first lap. Lap two saw Don Eischens of Cold Spring move past the rookie driver and take the lead. On the fifth go 'round, Steve Beach of Long Prairie moved into second with Chris Groth of Plymouth on his tail. A lap ten yellow closed things up and on the restart, Eischens had to contend with Beach and Groth. With two laps to go, Groth pulled up along side of Eischens and the two drag raced down the straights with Beach on their bumpers. Coming out of turn four for the checkers, Eischens forced Groth up to the high side and the two headed for the flag stand. As they crossed the stripe, Eischens took the win by a third of a car length with Groth second and Beach third.

Jim Martinson of Cokato took home the winner's hardware for the first time in the Creek Stock feature. Martinson wasted no time in getting to the front, as was the leader at the end of lap one. Martinson had to deal with a motor that started to go south and then changed it's mind a couple laps later. Apparently a plug wire came loose and the car started to sputter and it looked like Martinson's quest for the win was over when all of a sudden it came back to life and Jim was able to get back in front and hold on for the win. Dave Henderson of Monticello was able to work his way through the pack for a second place finish. Dave started 19th and the race went caution free. Greg Forcier of Buffalo Lake came in third.

Next week the lights will be up and the start time will be back to 7:00. As way of celebrating the new lights, 360 winged sprints will be on the card along with all of the regular classes. It's also fan appreciation night. Watch the website for more details and any changes at

Back to the Archives