Total posts: 3279
posted May 30, 2001 01:11 PM
Burgtorf takes Deery points lead to Oskaloosa
VINTON, Iowa - The Deery Brothers Summer Series makes its annual stop at Southern Iowa Speedway in Oskaloosa on Wednesday night, June 13.
Pit gates will open at 5 p.m., with hot laps at 7:15 p.m. and racing at 7:45 p.m. for the seventh event of the 2001 series for I.M.C.A. Sunoco Late Models.
Mike Smith of Jewell and Gary Russell of Biggsville, Ill., have each won two features so far, but it's one-time winner Mark Burgtorf of Quincy, Ill., on top of the point standings going into the race at Oskaloosa.
Burgtorf ran fifth in the Memorial Day race at the Boone Speedway to move into points lead. Smith, the defending series champion, and Russell, the winner at Boone, are tied for second, eight points back.
The series has paid 10 previous tour visits to SIS. Jeff Aikey of Cedar Falls owns a pair of series wins there, one of them coming at the 200th series event last summer.
Deery Brothers Summer Series Top 20 Point Standings
1. Mark Burgtorf, Quincy, Ill. 232
2. Gary Russell, Biggsville, Ill. 224
Mike Smith, Jewell, Iowa 224
4. Terry Ryan, Davenport, Iowa 218
5. Jason Friesen, Sutton, Neb. 212
6. Rob Toland, Hillsdale, Ill. 198
7. Brenton Slocum, Burlington, Iowa 190
8. Tom Darbyshire, Morning Sun, Iowa 186
9. Mike Cothron, Moline, Ill. 166
10. Darrel DeFrance, Marshalltown, Iowa 164
11. Boone McLauglin, Mediapolis, Iowa 160
12. Brad Osborn, Janesville, Iowa 144
13. Tommy Elston, Keokuk, Iowa 132
14. Bill Tuckwell, Washington, Ill. 124
15. Jody Wood, Donnellson, Iowa 120
16. Chris Smyser, Lancaster, Mo. 112
17. Dennis Woodworth, Mendon, Ill. 106
18. Jeremiah Hurst, Dewitt, Iowa 96
19. Terry Schlipman, Mendon, Ill. 74
20. Jamie Wilson, Quincy, Ill. 64