posted May 28, 2001 01:59 PM
OšREILLY AUTO PARTS ALL-STAR SERIES DRIVER KYLE BERCK WINS AGAIN
Berckšs Ford dominates at Memorial Day Classic at Nebraska Raceway Park
GREENWOOD, NEB. (May 27, 2001) One night after winning an OšReilly Auto
Parts All-Star Series, NASCAR Touring 50-lapper in Corning, Iowa, Kyle Berck
charged back to Victory Lane on Sunday. Berck, of Marquette, Neb., won the
Memorial Day Classic, presented by OšReilly Auto Parts, here at Nebraska
The driver of the Dorothy Lynch Homestyle Dressings/Speedway Motors Ford
Mustang started fifth in the 50-lap race and moved immediately into third
place. Polesitter Sonny Findling of Kirksville, Mo., led the first circuit,
followed by Chris Spieker of Massena, Iowa. The two then swapped spots for
the second through fourth laps. It was Findling leading and Spieker second
again for the fifth through eighth laps. Berck then passed Spieker on lap
nine and pulled alongside Findling as he completed the 13th lap.
Berck grabbed the lead a lap later and never looked back in the caution-free
event. Findling stayed in second place until Ed Kosiski got around him on
As the checkers fell, Ed Kosiski remained in second second place, and his
older brother Joe Kosiski, was in third. Findling was fourth, and Ray Guss
Jr. of Milan, Ill., was fifth.
ŗWe had a rhythm going, even passing lapped cars,˛ Berck said after the
race. ŗI could run wherever I wanted, but I barely had an edge on lapped
ŗIt was easy to drive,˛ he said of the race. ŗEverybody minded their
business, we were three or four wide out there. It was a great race.˛
John Anderson of Omaha, Neb., nabbed the Bud Pole Award for winning the most
passing points during qualifying heats..
Winning the qualifying heats were Dave Eckrich, Oxford, Iowa; Berck; and
Jason Hobscheidt, Nehawka, Neb. Al Zeitner of Bellevue, Neb., captured the
Berck has a 19-point lead 814 to 795 over Ed Kosiski going into the June
26 50-lapper at Shelby County Speedway in Harlan, Iowa. Rounding out the top
five in points are Joe Kosiski, 748; Guss, 720; and Findling, 707.
OšReilly Auto Parts All-Star Series Race Report
Nebraska Raceway Park
May 27, 2001
Race No. 5
First Qualifying Heat:
1. Dave Eckrich- Oxford, Iowa
2. Sonny Findling- Kirksville, Mo.
3. Kurt Kile- West Liberty, Iowa
4. Brian Harris- Davenport, Iowa
5. Donnie McClellan- Grant City, Mo.
6. Steve Ihm- Hazel Green, Wis.
7. Jeff French- Waukee, Iowa
8. Davey Nall- Phillips, Neb.
9. Dave Jorgensen Jr.- Omaha, Neb.
Second Qualifying Heat:
1. Kyle Berck- Marquette, Neb.
2. John Anderson- Omaha, Neb.
3. Steve Kosiski- Papillion, Neb.
4. Joe Kosiski- Omaha, Neb.
5. Ray Guss Jr.- Milan, Ill.
6. Mike Collins- Omaha, Neb.
7. John Hampel- Nodaway, Iowa
8. Al Zeitner- Bellevue, Neb.
9. Dale Zeitner- Bellevue, Neb.
Third Qualifying Heat:
1. Jason Hobscheidt- Nehawka, Neb.
2. Chris Spieker- Massena, Iowa
3. Ed Kosiski- Ralston, Neb.
4. Leon Zeitner- LaVista, Neb.
5. Skip Frey- Ely, Iowa
6. Scott Koskovich- Omaha, Neb.
7. Vic Lovejoy- Telden, Neb.
8. J.J. Cooper- Gretna, Neb.
9. Greg Larsen- Plattsmouth, Neb.
10. Bill Mlarnik- Omaha, Neb.
1. Al Zeitner
7. Dale Zeitner
Bud Pole Award winner:
The Memorial Day Classic presented by OšReilly Auto Parts:
2. Ed Kosiski
3. Joe Kosiski
8. Steve Kosiski
10. Al Zeitner
11. Leon Zeitner
For Further Information, Contact:
Phil Roberts, NASCAR, (319) 284-6863 (email@example.com)