Visit The Dirt Forum for More Information

Author Topic:   Nelson Nails Mod Main at Grove Creek in MN
Dirt Administrator

Total posts: 3279
posted May 21, 2001 09:44 AM UIN: 16262997

Nelson Nails Mod Main at Grove Creek

by Greg Johnson

GROVE CITY, MN The racing was fast and furious once again at Grove Creek Raceway. The race night sponsor was A-1 Muffler and Brake of Litchfield, and the racing was A-1 as well with close competition and at times four and five wide action! With all the racing and a few mishaps, the show was still concluded at 9:50

The WISSOTA Modified feature was a wild shoot-out several cars battled for the top position. Paul Hipsag of Elk River took the point when the green flag flew. Hipsag led the first two laps, that's when the caution came out as Jason Vejtruba and a couple of other cars made contact coming out of turn four spinning Vejtruba and leaving him vulnerable in the middle of the track. Clark Perry had nowhere to go and tagged Vejtruba. Both cars were out of competition at that point. On the restart, Shawn Nolan of Annandale took the lead with Jamie Lemke of Hutchinson, Hipsag and Brian Nelson of Spicer and Roger Canon of Willmar all bunched up right behind him. The pack circled the 3/8-mile track like an out of control freight train. It was anyone's race and each lap things got tighter. On lap eleven, Nelson and Lemke both moved past Nolan with Nelson in command. Nolan and Lemke raced side-by-side with Canon and Curly Williams all poised to make a move. The top five were stuck together like glue. Lemke made a pass on Nelson on the 16th circuit and looked like he may be able to make a repeat visit to the winner's circle. But on the last lap, Lemke drove in a little two hard into turn one and jumped the cushion. Nelson took full advantage as Nolan and Canon would slip by before Lemke could recover. Nelson won his first of the year and was happy to get a bit of a brake. Brian said, "It was a fun race, I got a little bit of brake on the last lap. But sometimes it goes your way and sometimes it doesn't, this time it went our way!"

The WISSOTA Super Stock feature was also an exciting one as Greg Boje led all laps for the win. However it wasn't an easy task as he had Don Eischens of Cold Spring breathing down his neck for most of the race. Eischens got by a speedy Chuck Thieschafer of Long Prairie on lap five and closed in on Boje in just a few laps. As the drivers circled the track, Eischens would try different lines to close the gap and at times pull up along side of Boje. The two put on a show and it was either driver's race until the checkers came out. Boje held on for the win with Eischens second. Chris Groth of Plymouth came a long ways after an early race encounter to finish third.

Jay Hedtke of Grove City grabbed the initial lead in the WISSOTA Street Stock feature. Hedtke would hold that for only a lap and a half as the "Maine Prairie Missile", Scott Paulson of Kimball came rocketing by. Hedtke held a few car lengths back in second dicing it out with last week's feature winner, Lonnie Walz of Big Lake. Paulson would win the event and it was Walz pulling off a second place finish on the last lap. Hedtke came in third and Tony Lund fourth.

The WISSOTA Mod-Four main had Brandon Willard leading from his pole position starting spot. Willard looked strong as he piloted his 18 car out front. Derek Zieske of Renville however had other ideas as he took the lead away on the sixth lap. It was a short lived lead also as last year's WISSOTA Rookie of the Year, Steve Johnson of Alexandria would power by for the lead and eventually the win. Derek had to contend with his brother; Dustin for the remaining laps and it was Dustin who prevailed to finish second with Derek third and Ryan Canon fourth.

The Creek Stock feature was a lively event also. Kevin Randt of Litchfield appeared to grab the initial lead from his inside third row starting spot. However, Randt was moved back two positions after a yellow flag on lap three. Randt had been a little bit eager and jumped the start. Now Justin Hedtke of Atwater, who started on the pole, was put out front in his Hedtke Performance #83. Hedtke ran strong until Randt closed back in on him after a few laps. Randt too the lead on lap nine and quickly built a several car length lead over the field. Travis Forcier of Silver Lake worked his way to and raced hard against Mike Christensen of Hutchinson. In the end, Randt scored the victory with Forcier second and Dave Henderson of Monticello, who started dead last in the 23 car field, came in third.

It was a great night of racing and a credit to the drivers and officials. Next week it will be the annual K-95 "Undy 500"

Back to the Archives