Total posts: 3279
posted April 21, 2001 07:44 AM
BIRKHOFER WINS OšREILLY AUTO PARTS 50 AT DUBUQUE FAIRGROUNDS
Muscatine driver takes lead as Boley and Miller battle for top spot
DUBUQUE, IOWA (April 20, 2001) While point leader Steve Boley and
Darren Miller were fighting tooth and nail for the lead in the final laps of
the OšReilly Auto Parts 50 here tonight at Dubuque Fairgrounds Speedway,
Brian Birkhofer was watching from third place, waiting for an opportunity.
He found it in the final laps and scooted around the leaders to win the
second OšReilly Auto Parts All-Star Series, NASCAR Touring race of the 2001
ŗThe two fastest cars were racing each other, and there was a little
slide job here and a little slide job there,˛ said Birkhofer, driver of a
Pontiac Grand Prix. ŗI saw them fighting, and I thought, OThey arenšt even
going to think about me on the top (groove).š I figured if I could get there
I was going to win the race. We just kind of fell into it. Hey, Išm happy.˛
Boley, of West Liberty, Iowa, winner of the season-opening OšReilly
Auto Parts All-Star Series race on April 8 in Davenport, Iowa, started
outside Birkhofer in the front row but took the immediate lead. He was
pursued the first half of the race by Kyle Berck of Marquette, Neb., and
Birkhofer, of Muscatine, Iowa.
On the 29th circuit, Miller, of Chadwick, Ill., took second, and
Birkhofer remained in third. In the final laps, Miller challenged Boley.
They dueled side by side and there was contact, with Miller grabbing the
lead at the start-finish line on the 44th circuit.
Boley was back in front for the 45th lap with Miller leading laps 46
and 47. Birkhofer made his move on the 48th lap, taking the lead and winning
the race. Boley and Miller followed Birkhofer under the checkers in that
order. But NASCAR officials penalized Boley one finishing position for what
they said was overly aggressive driving in the final laps of the race.
Fourth and fifth places, respectively, went to Berck and Steve Ihm of Hazel
ŗWe finally got a win,˛ said Birkhofer. ŗI didnšt want to get one
like this. (At least) those guys (Boley and Miller) finished. It was sweet,
Denny Eckrich of Coralville, Iowa, won the Bud Pole Award and, because
of the usual invert, started sixth in the OšReilly Auto Parts 50. But he
lost his driveshaft early in the event and had to retire.
Winners of qualifying heats were Brian Harris of Davenport, Iowa;
Boley; Denny Eckrich; and Dave Eckrich of Coralville, Iowa. Joe Kosiski of
Omaha, Neb., won the consolation race.
The drivers the OšReilly Auto Parts All-Star Series, NASCARšs only dirt
track touring series, prepare now for a three-night, three-race Memorial Day
weekend swing. Theyšll be in Denison, Iowa, on Friday, May 25; Corning,
Iowa, on Saturday, May 26; and Greenwood, Neb., on Sunday, May 27.
OšReilly Auto Parts All-Star Series Race Report
Dubuque Fairgrounds Speedway
April 20, 2001
Race No. 2
First Qualifying Heat:
1. Brian Harris- Davenport, Iowa
2. Ed Kosiski- Ralston, Neb.
3. John Anderson- Omaha, Neb.
4. Brian Birkhofer- Muscatine, Iowa
5. Gary Webb- Blue Grass, Iowa
6. Joe Kosiski- Omaha, Neb.
7. Terry Neal- Ely, Iowa
8. Dan Galant- Clinton, Iowa
9. Rick Wendling- Hazleton, Iowa
Second Qualifying Heat:
1. Steve Boley- West Liberty, Iowa
2. Chris Spieker- Massena, Iowa
3. Curt Martin- Independence, Iowa
4. Ray Guss Jr.- Milan, Ill.
5. Kevin Kile- West Liberty, Iowa
6. John Hampel- Nodaway, Iowa
7. Ryan Dolan- Lisbon, Iowa
Third Qualifying Heat:
1. Denny Eckrich- Coralville, Iowa
2. Steve Ihm- Hazel Green, Wis.
3. Steve Kosiski- Papillion, Neb.
4. Matt Furman- Iowa City, Iowa
5. Sonny Findling- Kirksville, Mo.
6. Kurt Kile- West Liberty, Iowa
7. Scott Koskovich- Omaha, Neb.
8. Darren Mish- Hazel Green, Wis.
Fourth Qualifying Heat:
1. Dave Eckrich- Coralville, Iowa
2. Kyle Berck- Marquette, Neb.
3. Rollie Frink- Davenport, Iowa
4. Darren Miller- Chadwick, Ill.
5. Jeff Aikey- Cedar Falls, Iowa
6. Ed Sanger- Postville, Iowa
7. Jason Hobsheidt- Nehawka, Neb.
8. Bobby Hansen- Center Point, Iowa
1. Joe Kosiski
10. Donnie McClellan- Grant City, Mo.
Bud Pole Award:
1. Denny Eckrich
OšReilly Auto Parts 50-lap feature:
6. Joe Kosiski
11. Ed Kosiski
15. Steve Kosiski
16. Kurt Kile
20. Dave Eckrich
23. Kevin Kile
26. Denny Eckrich
FOR FURTHER INFORMATION, CONTACT:
Phil Roberts, (563) 284-6863 (firstname.lastname@example.org)