Visit The Dirt Forum for More Information

Author Topic:   IDENTIFY CRANK
Dirt Forum Racer

Total posts: 76
posted February 10, 2003 12:14 PM
I have a crank that I was told it was for a 383. How/where can I measure to be sure? Also, one of the areas next to a journal is wore. Can this be fixed or just toss it. Thanks!

jhon hollomon
Dirt Maniac

Total posts: 181
posted February 10, 2003 03:41 PM
Does it have any casting numbers on it?

Dirt Roller

Total posts: 22
posted February 11, 2003 12:59 AM
first if it is a GM production crank it will be a 400 small block #3951529, with 2.65" mains if they have not yet been turned to 350 mains (2.45"). Or it could be an after market crank with their code and name to reference. A 383 is simply a 350 block bored .030 over with a 400 crank that has been turned from 2.65" mains to 2.45",350 mains with either 5.565 or 5.7 or 6.0 rods and clearanced in the block. The 400 or 383 has a stroke of 3.75" and most are externally balanced however you can internal balance one at a price. Take the crank to a good machine shop to be checked, it will be worth the few dollars you will spend. Also Mor Tec, Inc web site has all the chevy info you will ever need.
Good luck

Dirt Forum Racer

Total posts: 76
posted February 11, 2003 09:09 AM
I'm learning! It is a 350. Thanks for taking the time to help. Leon

Back to the Archives