Visit The Dirt Forum for More Information

Author Topic:   Roller Cam
Dirt Roller

Total posts: 18
posted January 23, 2003 01:53 PM
I have a question (maybe stupid on my part). What is that setup called that has springs that go on top of the roller lifter and the push rod goes through that spring with a metel plate under the eder of the head called. Question is: Do all roller cams require these. I plan on turning enging in the 6500 RPM range and can run any cam.

Dirt Forum Champ
Total posts: 620
posted January 23, 2003 02:26 PM
you're referring to a "rev kit" and they aren't absolutely neccesary on a roller cam, unless you have an extremely BIG roller cam. if you just plan on turning 6500, you'll be okay without it.

Dirt Freak

Total posts: 467
posted January 23, 2003 06:14 PM
There is no need for a rev-kit . We have not used them on anything for 13 years . Our SB2.2 little engines turn 9 - 9,200 rpm without rev kit's . Dave Crower did some spin-tron testing on rev kit's several year's ago , and his result's showed that the extra weight added to the valve train actually countered any gain's that rev kit's were thought to produce . Over all , if I remember correctly , a rev kit will only add 20 RPM to your max RPM before valve float according to his test's .


Hendren Racing Engines
Rutherfordton , NC

Dirt Roller

Total posts: 18
posted January 29, 2003 08:24 AM
I diden't think I needed them. I just remembered what they was called last night.

Thanks, Mansfield

Back to the Archives